It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Would I be happier with a laser?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I found out about your site from the knife posts on Chowhound. I also started to develop yearnings for something I probably don't need from the various posts on Chowhound. I am not a professional chef. I do not work with my knife for hours each day. But I do all the prep and cooking at home, mostly for my wife and myself, but also when we entertain. I have some good Victorinox knives, one from Dick, a flexible fish filleter from Wüsthof, various boning knives, and two Japanese knives that I bought years ago from Korin. Of the two Japanese knives, I don't recall what one of them is called, but it resembles pictures of Hattori knives I've seen on the internet. The other is a 270mm Glestain. The Glestain is my best knife, and I am very satisfied with it, but it weighs 330 grams. Would I be happier with a knife that weighs less than 200 grams? There are a couple of so-called lasers that I am salivating after. Am I completely nuts, or are these knives as great as people claim?

In any case I need some sharpening materials. Do I need something as expensive as an Edgepro, or can I do as well with individual stones and an angle cube?

I live in Switzerland, but we will be in the States at the end of September, beginning of October, so any purchases could be mailed to a US address.

Thanks for your trouble.

Regards,
Bob

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Would I be happier with a laser?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

I think you would love to use a thinner and lighter knife with better steel than the stuff you are currently using. Try something thin and light like this Kohetsu. It will freak you out: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait with baited breath for responses in the forum. But I'll let you know the knives I've been ogling:
Konosuke HD Wa-Gyuto Ho 240mm
Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa Gyuto 270mm w/ Free Saya

I'd like to call you on the phone in a few days. It costs me less to make a call to the US than to make a call in Switzerland. What would be a good time for me to call, your time?

Regards,
Bob

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

I highly encourage you to use this forum for product suggestions. It's the single reason we set it up and i'm often doing 20 things at once so phoning me is tough.

The 2 knives you listed are both excellent. I LOVE the konosuke. It's a great knife.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 pm 

As it was put to me, the Konosuke HD Wa-Gyuto is a knife from the g*ds. I didn't understand until I bought one, by far my favorite knife I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Even a normal non laser Wa knife will be a lot lighter due to the lack of the metal bolster and full tang. I thinned out a 270mm Glestain with dimples and it was very heavy. The dimples helped food release, but there was a lot of sticking on the non dimpled side.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Glestain's are about as heavy of a knife as you can find with that heavy ass handle. The blade isn't all that bad, really. Not the greatest steel in the world....but not terrible.

As taz pointed out, even a knife like say the Masamoto VG will feel a lot lighter simply because of the handle design.

A laser is all about a thin, thin blade. It could still have a heavy handle....technically speaking.

Of the two knives you listed, I'd personally get the HD from Konosuke. I like them a bit better than the Suisin's mainly due to the steel the knife uses. Do keep in mind that the Kono uses a semi-stainless steel than can stain somewhat.

An EdgePro is the best gadget I've tried for sharpening. It still has it's limitations, but does an excellent job of sharpening knives.

I prefer to free hand sharpen. You could get a 1,000 grit and a 6,000 grit stone and be all set save for the times when you need to do repairs to a chipped edge in which case you'd need some coarser or to send the knife off for repairs.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm 

Exactly what Adam said . . .

Here is a great starting setup for stones:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh6pcstset.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:55 pm 

+1 on the 6pcs Shapton set up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

BOB <> "Would I be happier w/a Laser?" Interesting question as only you can answer that question, but if you are going to buy another knife, I do feel a laser is appropriate as you already have a bunch of heavy duty blades covered. As Jeff B stated, I have dubbed the HD a steel from the g-ds, and it is obviously, IMO, a superior steel to the more stain-resistant Suisin's 19c27. That said, I prefer the Suisin IH overall package over the KonoHD. I'm splitting hairs here because profile wise, weight wise, thickness wise... they are nearly identical knives, but for me, there is a je ne sais quoi with the Suisin where they just feel better. Additionally, the Suisin saya is a much tighter fit than the Kono, and the Kono handle has a smaller circumference than the thicker & slightly flared Suisin.

No, you do not NEED a jig system. Inexpensively, a couple bench stones or a two-sided combo stone can consistently create an edge that exceeds the edge you received on your Glestain. The suggested Shapton Glass Stones are super hard & not that forgiving for a beginner, and you might prefer softer stones such as this 8 piece set.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next