It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond Laser AS Review [240 mm]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:45 am 

So I recently happened to find myself in the possession of a Richmond AS Laser, courtesy of CKTG. I was going to write this review after one week of owning it but I decided that four days has been long enough. I ordered it with the Saya, so I'll cover that as well. The knife only took two [excruciatingly long] days to arrive, so I'm happened with the business aspect of my purchase.

Sharpness

In these hours following my obtaining of the knife, nothing but insane laughter was heard coming from my kitchen. This thing literally glides through food, including loaves of bread. In the picture you can see I've murdered some unsuspecting zucchini squash. I emulated some generic sharpness tests I've watched, it's passed all of them except for shaving the hair of my arm, but I have very little arm hair as it is and I'm to afraid to really press the knife against my skin hahaha, chances are I'm just doing that test wrong. It's garnered remarks such as "I'm scared to even use this this thing." from my co-workers, if the other knives in the kitchen were to suddenly become sentient then they would surely look upon the Richmond Laser with envious eyes.

-

Edge Retention

The draw back to writing this review after such a short period of possessing the knife is that I can't speak much for the edge retention. I haven't noticed any deterioration in the cutting performance of the knife...but I would be disappointed if I did after only 4 days. I haven't honed the knife yet [tsk tsk] because I don't know the Rc. of the honing steel I have and I'd rather not damage the knife or the steel; I'll just but a new one. Could somebody suggest one?

-

Comfort & Handling

This is my first Wa handle Knife, and I think I prefer it to the Ho [Western] handles. Then knife is weighted well, it is slightly blade heavy with the balance point being about a inch above the chin. The knife feels super light, I believe it's weight is considered low-medium weight, it just has a great feel. I can use a racket grip comfortably and pinch gripping is even better.

The Wa handle is comfortable in either hand, I spent a few minutes cutting with the knife in my left hand and I actually was able to adapt fairly easily; and I'm not ambidextrous by any means at all. The knife is super sharp which helped I'm sure. None the less, the knife is comfortable in either hand.

The one thing I am going to gripe about [and bear in mind that it's probably not the knife] is that cutting with a rocking motion feels unnatural to me which is a let down because it's my preferred style of doing things. It could be the extra length [I wanted a 210mm, 240mm is bigger then any knife I've ever owned] or the height of the blade. It's not to say the knife doesn't perform well when rock cutting, but something about it feels off. Any ideas?

-

Aesthetics

^ Japanese Etching on one side of the blade, what does it say? It looks good at least.

The blade is like a fine womn beautiful and slender, the logo on the side is classy and the Japanese Kanjii etched into the other side give it some character and make it distinctive. Everybody knows this knife is mine. and I'm damn proud of it. :mrgreen:

The knife is proof that Damascus steel isn't the end all to be all for fine craftsmanship in knives, and the handle is as good as I could ask for.

-

Saya

^ Knife in the Saya

Knife side by side with the Saya

I've never owned one of these, but I can say it feels sturdy enough to keep my knife safe, the knife catches nicely when inserted all the way into it [TWSS] but it is by no means difficult to remove. It looked a little pale so I put it in my oven to cure for a little while, it has a nicer color to it now. I'm a little surprised it didn't come with a nicer finish or anything, but the important part is it keeps my knife safe.

-

Overall

^ Here's a picture of my armpit [sexy] as I tuck my phone into it so I have both hands free to sheath the knife. :lol:

While I'm new to high performance knives, impeccable quality doesn't need to slap me in the face for me to notice it. If you take care of this knife, it will take care of you. Scores of vegetables and proteins will be at your mercy, powerless to stop your onslaught. When you release the laser from it's sheath, is shall be the end of all tasks before you.

I have no regrets at all about spending the money on this knife, I am positively enthralled by it's capabilities. :D

Post subject: Re: Richmond Laser AS Review [240 mm]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Good write-up.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:00 am 
Forum Moderator

The saya looks like Poplar wood or something similar. The basic saya's are usually not finished with anything. I would be careful of baking it, you would weaken the glue that holds the saya together and you are drying out the wood, which can cause it to warp or bend. If you want it darker in color, apply some Tung Oil or Danish Oil to the outside of it.

Many Japanese knives have a lower tip and flatter edge than German/European style chef knives. The flatter edge/lower tip aren't really meant to rock cut as well as a knife with more belly. With knives that are that thin behind the edge, the knife can also stick into the board and if you torque it, you can chip/crack the blade if it is stuck into the board hard. Try a push cut where you push the blade forward and down through the food; flatter edges really excel at this!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent review. Thanks so much for posting it. I'm thrilled you are enjoying the knife.

I'm going with only Kanji on the logo for the next batch and I'm also requesting the round the spine and choil more. These should be ready in about 4 weeks for those that want one. We sold the last batch pretty quickly.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:55 am 

This knife is amazing. It is beautiful and works great. Mine, which is in my locker at work... has developed quite a dark patina on the edge and looks awesome contrasting the stainless clad. I do a have a small chip a bout 2-3 inches up for the handle side on the edge. Cut some really crusty half frozen bread one day on the fly (stupid mistake, and it chipped her) its totally fixable however. I even had a michelin starred chef say, "wow, that's a shape knife there bud." haha I will send a picture of the patina one day if I ever bring her home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:18 pm 

here she is.

I cut around 10lbs of tomatoes for a salad we do with barata cheese, I think that is what is giving it such a dark patina. IM not realy an expert on this, just an observation.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]