It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke handle and steel conundrum
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 am 

I already have an ebony handled santoku and a Takeda 240 mm gyuto. I love the look and feel of ebony but find it is heavy. I find the blue super steel on the Takeda requires very little TLC. I feel the need for some retail therapy and am interested in getting a Konosuke 240 mm gyuto, the attraction being the alleged thinness of the blade.

Given what I already have, I want the new knife to be noticeably lighter than what I already own. That makes me lean to getting the handle in Ho wood, although I much prefer the look of ebony. Can anyone comment on the difference in weight between these two? Mark, if you read this, could you provide the weight of the knife in ebony?

Secondly, I am unsure whether to get HD or white #2 steel. As mentioned, blue super steel really was a non event as far as extra care goes in my opinion. Is white #2 that much more finicky? I like the look of patina, but don't want food to discolor and don't want to avoid cutting anything other than lemons with it.

Post subject: Re: Konosuke handle and steel conundrum
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:15 am 
Site Admin

I'll come back with a weight comparison tomorrow. I think you should get the HD 240 with ho wood handle. They feel light in my hand when I pick it up. The ebony handles are nice but they're heavier. The HD sharpens like a carbon blade but has enough chromium to keep it from being overly reactive. The white #2 is a good knife as well but requires a little more care.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

BEEZ <> It is not alleged. These Konos are extremely thin & light. Lighter & thinner then even Suisins. My 240HD Ho-Funayuki comes in @136grams. The Ho-Gyuto is probably another 5 grams of steel.

I have a Suisin 210 Inox Wa-Gyuto coming in @117 grams & the 270 in the same @183 (these have both been sharpened for years). My HDsteel has basically zero reactivity in FL & OH, thus far. Patina develops slowly & will not look anything like a Carbon patina. It is technically "semi-stainless," but you can almost treat it like stainless.

I've "only" set it on a 1200 & finished on a 6,000 thus far as I've been out of town with it since I received it, & I don't bring many stones on-the-road. What else to say other than scary sharp, not screaming sharp, with average to above average retention.

side note: I am suprised how much I resonate with the knife, and will be purchasing a second of the same after a few other high priority acquisitions. Love the thinner height tip (last 1/3) of the Funayuki profile...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:53 pm 

Thanks Melampus. I only said alleged because I haven't had the opportunity to see one myself. I didnt mean that I doubted it. Perhaps I should have chosen a better phrase. Thanks for your comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:15 am 
Site Admin

I'm sorry but I ran out of day today. We were really busy just trying to get orders out the door today. I'll try to get to this on Sunday.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am 
Forum Moderator

BEEZ <> You're welcome & no worries! I was just going with the flow of your post...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:19 am 

I read on the forum something about HD2 steel. Anyone know what the tweak will be, eg. slight extra hardness and when it is expected to be available?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yes they're going to be doing the new steel shortly. It will take us a while to switch over from one to the other.

I'll update both the forum and the site with performance characteristics of the new HD steel when I'm done working with the prototypes and talking to Konosuke. It won't be long, my guess is a few weeks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 pm 

Just read Aaron's review in the newsletter. He says kono white #2 is much thinner than kono HD. Is that true?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 pm 

BLZeebub wrote:Just read Aaron's review in the newsletter. He says kono white #2 is much thinner than kono HD. Is that true?

Hadn't heard that. But I would like to hear if that is true as well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next