It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Starting a new edge?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:55 am 

I watched one of Mrknifefanatic's videos today and when he started the sharpening on a 500 grit stone he ran the edge along the stone first. He was doing a review on a set of stone so not sure if he did this to make sure he had a dull edge to start the review or if this is a common way to start the sharpening process. Any insight?

Post subject: Re: Starting a new edge?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:30 am 

Sharpening a sharp knife is easy so by cutting into the stone and dulling the knife it shows actual progress.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm 

Cliff Stamp calls this "destressing the edge". He does it as a normal part of sharpening. His idea, as I understand it, is that cutting into the stone removes metal at the edge that was weak and "stressed" by being used for cutting. Removing it reveals fresh metal that's ready to be ground into a new edge.

There's probably some merit to this idea as Cliff seems to be very knowledgeable about edges, sharpening, cutting performance, etc.

Brian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:30 pm 

Lol, Cliff Stamp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:02 am 

If you sharpen using the burr method you are going to grind in to new steel anyways. I find this step unneeded.

But iin MKF's vid, its done to show cutting speed on a blunted edge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 am 

Cliff Stamp talks a lot about things he has no clue about.Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:36 am 

I'm sure Mr. Stamp is a very knowledgeable fellow. I've never been able to figure out what he is really trying to say. Could be me I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:50 am 

in any kitchen knife forum i've been in, cliff stamp has been pretty much ridiculed. there's probably a reason why.

=D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:53 am 

I thought it was me too. I found deciphering Cliff Stamp's posts similar to trying to decipher Dave Martel's posts. I found Dave's gibberish sometimes to be more humorous than Cliff's. The humorous screen name, Cliff Stamp, does not inspire confidence; The name DullBlade doesn't inspire confidence either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:04 am 

I used to cut into the stone so I knew I had an even starting point along the whole edge, to try to prevent one section from getting sharp ahead of the others. The family kitchen knife set (a wedding gift) frequently needs a couple of refreshing passes to remove tiny amounts of damage from the dishwasher and from being used on a glass "cutting board." I've also seen some village sharpeners do the edge cutting into the stone on those bicycle powered wheel sharpeners. FWIW, I've been able to get disturbing edges on some knives following Cliff's destress, shape, deburr, & hone method, in a very short time, even on knives that have given me trouble in the past.

Page 1 of 6 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next