It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening wheels (Japanese)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:10 pm 

Mark I see you have changed the CKNTG Facebook picture to a line up of wheels I suspect in a Japanese knife factory I'd love one of those !
I do have a Tormek that I do use for repairing knives although it is a little slow the wheels are 10inch so there is a slight hollow grind and I finish the job on stones , probable the closest I will get to these fantastic wheels .
I know a lot of people do repairs successfully on belt sanders or even large grinding wheels these big wheels look safer and possible easier to use. It is just a shame that I believe they are custom made so are very pricey .

Post subject: Re: Sharpening wheels (Japanese)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:26 pm 

I have been told that they are available by special order from Norton here in the states.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:47 am 

Thats interesting I thought they were only available in Japan they seem to have much more finesse than belt grinders or grinders.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark and I were talking about these recently.

I said something akin to "I want"

He said "I can get"

I said...."Sweet, how much".

He replied

I didn't.

:)

I think they're in the $1,000 range, plus freight here, plus you have to have a mechanism to run them.....water tub, motor, gears/belts/etc., etc.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:53 pm 

I see that some have quite a rudimentary water system that of a gravity feed dripping water from a bottle or I suppose a hose pipe although part of a plastic water tank would work well as long as it is possible to drain it .Does that price include the stone mounted onto some sort of wheel or are these the solid types. I will be moving back to the mother land (England ) in the next year or so and would seriously consider looking at it then since living in a small Island with limited Spanish would make it a nightmare to sort here.
I imagine a washing machine motor is the right sort of motor or some sort of pump motor. Many of the yachts whose main systems run on 220 volt systems have engine rooms full of such motors the gearing I would have thought would not be too difficult and the belts are simple depending on how the stone is mounted on the wheel but I would think that we are talking fairly basic engineering to set one up .
I would love to see some more detailed pictures of the mechanisms to power one up I imagine that the singularly most expensive item is the stone I am sure reconditioned electric motors would not be too bad as long as the speed can be governed unless you wanted to run it 24/7 although maybe we would have to to make it pay for itself.
One has to say with the price and the mess a belt sander and the possible damage plus the belts replacements that price is not so fantastic for the real deal!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

When you move back to England email me and I'll see if I can get you a quote for everything you need.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:01 pm 

That sounds good thanks Mark.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]