It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: knife edge grinds
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:11 pm 

I'm trying to understand why the edge/bevel on my last two knife purchases don't have that distinct 1/16"ish bevel that is produced from mine and others sharpening stones. I've been doing a little research and my current guess is that they are coming with a convex grind possibly which is why it looks like the knife edge is seamlessly blended into the overall blade. For example the Richmond AEB-L laser looked this way to me and I simply chalked it up as a potential characteristic of a very thin knife. Then I noticed my new Konosuke Fujiwara also came with a similar edge. Now when I looked at the edge under a loupe I could see a very small bevel, but it was still a far cry from the knife edge pictures posted and produced.
Can someone explain to me what I'm seeing please? In order to get that 1/16" bevel that I'm used to from my edge pro is it going to be akin to reprofiling the edge?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: knife edge grinds
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, there are a couple of things that can cause what you are seeing.

1: The knife was ground extremely thin behind the edge and almost no matter how steep you sharpen it (within reason) there just isn't enough steel to make a wide-looking bevel.

2: The edge is sharpened closer to 20 degrees.

It's not that the edge is convexed. You will still see a convex bevel the same as you will see a flat bevel, but if you aren't seeing very much edge then chances are the knife is already very thin or needs to be sharpened a little bit steeper. I hope this helps. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:26 pm 

Yes it does help Shaun thanks. I'm guessing considering the two knives in question that my situation is the former rather than the latter. I tried checking the box edge with a marker and 15 deg. It came right off, but there is so little bevel to work with that the stone might have swiped it off at varying degrees. That's just a guess though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Many Japanese knives are ground very thin behind the edge and the bevel is almost a micro bevel and can be hard to see. This isn't a bad thing or an issue, it is just different than how other knives are ground. You do not need a 1/16" wide bevel to perform well. A wider bevel means that the knife is thicker behind the edge or needs thinning, or someone did a wide bevel and polished it like that for some reason? When people thin out a knife, it often gets the wider bevel look. I use a belt sander to regrind/thin my knives when needed, so that usually keeps my bevels nice and small.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm 

I also noticed this. What angle are the AS Laser gyutos sharpened to? How are they finished?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:02 pm 

You cannot use a factory grind as a template.

Unless you can tell its been done by hand on stones all factory machine ground edges are only there to get a "sharp" knife out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 am 

When I received my Konosuke Fujiwara Blue #2 Funayuki/Gyuto 240mm I observed an edge that was different from others I had seen. The primary bevel started at the shionogi line and went all the way to the edge. So I pulled out my loupe and saw that there was a hairline micro-bevel on the edge. This micro-bevel was only on the right side, not the left. I haven't even sharpened it yet because it is very sharp already and I have to figure out how to sharpen it without messing the bevels up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 am 

Badboy - You are able to more eloquently describe what I was seeing as well. I'll be interested in hearing what you do long term and what others with this knife do to keep it sharp. I ran a progression of high grit chosera stones across mine in an effort to simply refine it. Thanks for the update.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]