It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How fast can you sharpen a yanagi?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:49 am 

For the typical laminated yanagi I can start to finish one in about 30-45 minutes depending on damage and in my case I never see one that is not damaged. While I would like to hear how long it takes others for these I'm more interested in single steel yanagi's such as Shun in VG-10, MAC, and global.

I had to sharpen a MAC and Shun yanagi today and averaged 1 hour per blade. This is not simple sharpening but fixing minor nicks/chips microbevels that have turned into bevels and where it looked like someone used a steel on the backside to "hone" the blade.

My progression was Nubatama 220 pink, chosera 400, 800, 3000, 5000, and imanishi 10k.

So my question, how quickly can you sharpen one of these single steel yanagi's? And given the stated damage and my stone progression is 1 hour slow, fast, or average?

Post subject: Re: How fast can you sharpen a yanagi?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:33 am 

Not exactly the answer to your question, but I've probably put in about 2-3 hours sharpening my new blue #2 yanagi. It's not damaged, but I'm flattening out some high spots on the bevel. I've been using primarily a 300, 600, or 1200 grit stone, followed by some naturals for fun (knowing full well that I was going to put the yanagi back on a coarse stone because the flattening wasn't done yet)

I'm getting to know some of my stones and going deliberately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:19 am 
Forum Moderator

Not as quickly as you, JB. ;)

Kidding aside, a damaged blade is a damaged blade. They take time to grind/profile, refine & polish. You don't need us to tell you what you know. An hour is powering through extremely efficiently; kudos to you! I guess sharpening all day everyday for years creates efficiency, eh? 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Time taken is irrelevant......the result is what matters.

Just MHO.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:40 am 

MadRookie wrote:Time taken is irrelevant......the result is what matters.

Just MHO.

Time IS important, I am expected to finish projects in a timely manor because in the world of professional sharpening time is money.

If I was doing this for myself on my own knife I would take all day but I'm not and in some cases the customer needs there knife for work that day.

Efficiency is the name of the game and I need to be as efficient as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 am 

Jason- I can say that one hour for removing that much metal is pretty stinking efficient! I am in no way as experienced as you, but I have sharpened some of my single bevel knives and it just takes forever to get the initial blade road flat and even. Considering you have damaged knives, I would think that grinding the primary bevel would have to be done and given that not only are you having to grind through the damage but also leveling the high/low spots on the bevel, so one hour on the stones is really good.

I would imagine that if I were to do a similar task I would take two or two-and-a-half hours (but at home not professionally). I could probably shorten that time down, but probably not down to only one hour.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Jason B. wrote:

Just MHO.

Time IS important, I am expected to finish projects in a timely manor because in the world of professional sharpening time is money.

If I was doing this for myself on my own knife I would take all day but I'm not and in some cases the customer needs there knife for work that day.

Yep, can see your point here & agree to an extent, but I would still rather take a dash longer, than give a customer a knife which is not on par - the final edge still rules the roost.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:50 pm 

MadRookie wrote:
Jason B. wrote:

Just MHO.

Yep, can see your point here & agree to an extent, but I would still rather take a dash longer, than give a customer a knife which is not on par - the final edge still rules the roost.

The thing is, it is on par and the final edge is as sharp as it gets. I'm OCD about sharpening single bevel knives and appearance combined with extreme levels of sharpness is always my goal.

From the little bit of info so far it seems I am moving at a good pace to produce the results I am getting I just feel it could go faster.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:20 pm 

Jason --> that is what makes guys like you so good at what you do, your never satisfied and are always looking to find a way to do it better or faster. I can only dream of being on your level.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:34 am 

I did a couple of 270 MM (I think) Yanagi like knives about a month ago. Origin unknown in about 45 min to an hour I think. I wasn't looking to make them in anyway perfect. Just useable. Of course the customer was in a hurry. Only took them to 6K IIRC. They were to be used as training knives as I understood it. I saw another single bevel not to long ago and spent about an hour on it. Again perfection wasn't in the cards. Only took it to 8K. I really need to take pictures of these things when I get them in. I have serious CRS. LOL

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next