It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: He who hesitates...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:40 am 

Between all of them.....in the "Best knife" category, you're splitting a really fine bunch of hairs.

Yeah, that's the problem - as I titled my original thread on my musings about choosing AA knife, “So many knives, so little time”. It would be soooo nice to just get them all. And, of course, use them all.

Unless the unusually quiet Melampus shows up at my doorstep and yells at me to sheeit or get off the pot, or offers to demonstrate the difference between the Fujiyama and the HD2 by slicing off various appendages, including a verypersonal lesson in push cutting with a Funayaki, methinks... :shock:

I really, really, really am enthralled by the Fujiyama White #1. I have a thing for hand-forged knives (and have the sneaking suspicion that the HD2's are stamped, though from a great steel and then ground exceptionally well), and generally works of functional art. As for regular profile versus Funayuki, it's not a deal breakers - I may be able to sneak in a Funi later despite threats from my spousal unit that "this is it". For the last umpteen years, my main knife has been a Wüsthof Santoku, so I am used to a flat edge. I just can't convince my wife why I have to sharpen it every single time I use it - sometimes twice when it starts not so much cutting as shredding beef or chicken (ditto for the slicer).

I am also somewhat enthralled by White #1, to the point of strongly considering getting a White #1 Petty just to have a set with the same steel. Not the Fuji, though - something a little taller.

I gotta tell y'all, I have this habit of picking up expensive hobbies - photography, shooting, audiophilia (steel arguments are slightly less heated than tubes versus solid-state). If I had that kind of money - the kind where one of my patient's son and daughter-in-law, after hearing me tell them Bill Gates spent a cool $100M building his house, said something to the effect of, "Yes, Bill and Melinda's house is really nice inside" - I might disregard the “3F” rule... ;)

And Jwesley, you can FedEx “my” Fuji Funi Blue #2 to me. I swear you must have beaten me to it by minutes to a couple of hours. :( If only I had followed my instincts and ordered it the day before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 am 

Sorry, Jwesly, I originally read that to mean you had gotten the Fuji, not the HD2 Funi. Whoever stole that last Fuji from under my nose, you can still FedEx it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:57 am 

I ordered the HD2 a couple of weeks ago in fears that it would go out of stock before the holidays and I'd wind up waiting months or longer for it to come back.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 am 

Jnani said: "And Jwesley, you can FedEx “my” Fuji Funi Blue #2 to me. I swear you must have beaten me to it by minutes to a couple of hours. If only I had followed my instincts and ordered it the day before."

This is exactly how I felt when someone stole the last Moritaka petty that I wanted. Just send it to me please!!! Sorry Mark but your free shipping on all orders over $60 makes just buy things all willy nilly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:13 pm 

Jnani said "sorry, Jwesly, I originally read that to mean you had gotten the Fuji, not the HD2 Funi. Whoever stole that last Fuji from under my nose, you can still FedEx it to me."

I believe it was me. It's schedule to arrive tomorrow.

At this point it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of it, or need someone to gently push you, so I'll push. Pull the trigger on the Kono White Fuji funi. No comment on #1 vs #2 from experience, but if it was me, and you sound similar, I'd go #1 just because it's supposed to be better right? :) At least it costs more, so it must be better. :) :)
I also gave the choices a great deal of thought and in the end purchased what I wanted, rather than what just happened to be in stock. These things are too expensive and a potential long term investment in use to buy simply based on what's in stock right now. With any luck, I'll start clearing out a few that no longer get used.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm 

desol wrote:The blue Fujiyama's are not heavy knives at all...nor are they thick. Mine measures 2.1mm at the base of the spine and 1.1mm near the tip.
They are a 'little' bit heavier (60 grams or something) than the HD. Imo, they're a very nice weight...not feather, feather light but with a tiny
bit of heft to do some work 'for' you.

toddnmd wrote:I wonder if the ebony would make it handle-heavy, though I've not held or used it.

The ebony handle does not make it handle heavy...in fact, it seems a great match for this knife.
As I said in a previous post...mine balances very well at the pinch point.

For clarification, my original comment in the quote above was regarding the HD2 with an ebony handle, rather than the Fuji. It was more a comparison of the ho (136g) vs. ebony (187g) on the HD2 240mm gyuto. Though that comment is based on the stats, rather than actual usage of the ebony-handled HD2. The ho version is nicely balanced.

The Blue #2 Fuji (which only comes in an ebony handle), is a knife that feels great, IMO, and the handle is nicely matched to the blade.

And, after Adam's comments, I looked carefully at the HD and Fuji side by side. While I still think the HD is just a tiny bit thinner, I had great difficulty in getting a good pic of this. So, I'd concede his point that they are very close to the same thickness. Still, these two knives have a different feel. They're both really nice, in their own way. The HD is really light, and while the Fuji is by no means heavy, does feel more substantial.

Hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

In this case, please buy the Fujiyama white #1 gyuto.....it sounds like the perfect knife for you.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm 

I have a Kono Suji in white #2 and love that knife! I think you'll be thrilled with the Fujiyama white #1 once you get it in your hands!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:52 pm 

I put the Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Gyuto in my shopping cart last night. All things considered, I believe it to be the better choice for me - I just had to convince myself that it was worth the extra $$$ over the HD, that the price is just a number and what is most important is the knife itself.

Now I have to pick out a Petty. I have Melampus to thank for pointing out that there is more to consider between Aogami Super and White #1 than tungsten and vanadium - like the price you pay for them, as in brittleness (brittility? :roll: ), not to mention blade profiles.

Then there's stones to pick out. My long-used and beloved Norton diamond hones need some Japanese cousins to move in with them.

Thank you all for your help and feedback. This is new territory for me and I do have some fear of the unknown.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:52 am 

Honestly, with free shipping over $60, why not get the gyuto now, and then get the petty and stones in a separate purchase (or purchases)? Some of this stuff won't get restocked for quite a while.

Page 2 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next