It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Shimo vs. Tanaka Sekiso
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:27 am 

I have been swimming through the sea of petty knife choices from kurouchi finishes to stainless clad knives and have landed on either a mono steel petty or a damascus and was wondering what were the thoughts on these two particular brands in the 150 pettys.

Post subject: Re: Masakage Shimo vs. Tanaka Sekiso
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

I made the mistake of calling the Shimo a mono steel knife. It's a Damascus clad blade, as is the Sekiso. They are both fully reactive, not stainless clad.

Check out the 3rd post in this topic where I quote Melampus from his post topic on theses knives: help-me-pick-out-my-new-petty-knife-t3394.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 pm 

Jwesly1 wrote:I have been swimming through the sea of petty knife choices from kurouchi finishes to stainless clad knives and have landed on either a mono steel petty or a damascus and was wondering what were the thoughts on these two particular brands in the 150 pettys.

I'm curious--what are your reasons to come to that decision? Knowing more about your thought process will help people give suggestions.

Also, what are your budget and preferences in terms of stainless, semi-, or carbon?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

You're asking about two quite similar knives.

Differences are in core steel and handle shape....which are fairly minor differences in the grand scheme of things.

In my boots, I'd pick between the two based on the steel in this case....which I never do. If I had a white steel knife of some kind, I'd pick the Tanaka with it's blue steel. Vice versa for the other way around.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Get the Shimo. I like that knife a lot.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:29 pm 

chefknivestogo Post subject

Get the Shimo. I like that knife a lot.

+1 Shimo 150mm petty is an amazing knife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:31 pm 

toddnmd wrote:
Jwesly1 wrote:I have been swimming through the sea of petty knife choices from kurouchi finishes to stainless clad knives and have landed on either a mono steel petty or a damascus and was wondering what were the thoughts on these two particular brands in the 150 pettys.

I'm curious--what are your reasons to come to that decision? Knowing more about your thought process will help people give suggestions.

Also, what are your budget and preferences in terms of stainless, semi-, or carbon?

Well I would like a taller petty so it acts a bit like a mini gyuto and I feel like kurouchi or stainless clad blades are kind of thick and will have a muted feel and a possible wedging feel, my best performing knives are very thin. I did not realize these two knives were clad and are a a bit thicker than I expected. My budget is up to $200 and I prefer either a semi-stainless, carbon mono steel, or damascus clad petty that is 150mm or a bit longer. I was looking at the Moritaka Supreme 165mm petty but it is out of stock and I also like the Maskage mizu but it is out of stock as well. Any advice guys?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:49 pm 

I have the 150 Moritaka Supreme and it's a great knife, but I rarely use it. It's light and the AS steel keeps a great edge. Personally though I either use a ~90mm petty for small work or my gyuto. If you want something in this size the Supreme is a good choice.

There is quite a bit of discussion on one of the other forums about Moritaka's perceived overgrind issues. Take that for what it's worth, and the issues seem to be (according to the thread) less common on the Supreme line. Mine is great, just don't use it that often.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 pm 

Jwesly1 wrote:
Well I would like a taller petty so it acts a bit like a mini gyuto and I feel like kurouchi or stainless clad blades are kind of thick and will have a muted feel and a possible wedging feel, my best performing knives are very thin. I did not realize these two knives were clad and are a a bit thicker than I expected. My budget is up to $200 and I prefer either a semi-stainless, carbon mono steel, or damascus clad petty that is 150mm or a bit longer. I was looking at the Moritaka Supreme 165mm petty but it is out of stock and I also like the Maskage mizu but it is out of stock as well. Any advice guys?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe both the Moritaka Supreme and Masakage Mizu are clad as well.

The Tanaka Sekiso is a very thin knife, at least where it counts--there is no way I would characterize it as "thick."

And there seems to be a lot of love here for the Shimo as well.

Both of your original choices are fairly tall for this length, and could function as a mini gyuto. The Tanaka has a somewhat pointier tip, if that sways you one way or the other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 am 
Forum Moderator

What Todd said :-).

The Tanaka Sekiso or the Masakage Shimo 150 pettys would be screamin' sharp knives that are killer performers. You can't go wrong with either. Better handle and F&F on the Shimo, pointier tip on the Sekiso and it's a bit less expensive. Don't worry about the spine thickness of these at the handle/heel. They have great grinds and will kick some booty ITK.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]