It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Polycrystalline Spray on Shapton Stones
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 pm 

So heres a technique I have been meaning to try for some time now but never quite felt like my skills were worth the spritz of 70$ / bottle spray......

So today I gave my Shapton 30k a spritz of 0.25 Micron Polycrystalline spray.

Wow.

Completely changed the feedback of the stone. Normally I find the 30k to be almost like granite , very very hard. 1/4 of a spritz and it changed and felt like I was using sandpaper. Huge difference in feel and sound.

So how did it work? Really well , it worked quickly with light pressure and helped me remove some lower grit scratches I have been trying to chase down. Its still not the perfect mirror that I am looking for , but its getting pretty damn close. And that edge has not even seen a strop yet. Making it a perfect candidate for even finer compounds on nanocloth. (I have 0.1 , 0.050 and 0.025 poly as well)

Your going to have to pardon my poor photography skills , but you get the idea.

With about a dozen new compounds on the way from Ken (CBN and more Poly mostly) I am going to get to play some more. But I am seriously considering getting some monocrystalline solely for the use on stones.

Post subject: Re: Polycrystalline Spray on Shapton Stones
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice work!

I have been chasing the "liquid mercury" edge for a long time.

The fundamental secret is your very first stone.

Here you need to make damn sure that the bevel has been perfectly set/profiled in all aspects.

Also your final couple of strokes on your first stone must get progressively lighter & lighter until just the weight of the stone arm is working.

The above is very important - because as you move up with the finer grits, you loose "grinding" performance with each finer stone you use.

After your first stone, all subsequent stones are just "polishing" out the scratch pattern, NOT performing any real profiling/grinding, therefor many strokes at extreme light pressure is the way forward.

It is purely a time/patience based exercise.

The first most common mistake was trying to grind out spots on the blade with finer stones, because my first stone was not perfectly finished.

Second most common error relates to stone flatness (especially when spritzing with poly diamond) - the stone wears very much faster and the resultant stone dishing presents a problem for the next "flat" stone in relation to consistent 100% full bevel contact - do not get carried away on one side of the blade every time you start a fresh stone - do like 2 passes & flip the blade (repeat) - this way you ensure more even contact between stone & bevel before the stone dishes on just one blade side.

I sometimes lap my stones twice during a "mirror" session for one knife.

Third common mistake - maintain & repeat EXACT blade position on the blade table - not doing this results in different contact areas on the blade which puts you back to common mistake one.

Fourth common mistake is tolerance levels/play/precision in the actual equipment - eliminate it if at all possible - use the drill stop collar/angle cube & angle degree upgrade arm.

Lastly, take your time - put your heart in it - CONCENTRATE ON EACH stroke!

I am still practicing to achieve that ultimate, perfect mirror bevel - it is a slow process though......

Enjoy.

Rookie.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 am 

Thanks MR.

In this progression I started with the 1k shapton. But my previous sharpening on this knife started on the atoma 140 and went to the 1200 atoma. Then I dropped down to the 1k shapton. I think in the future I might experiment with dropping down far lower than the diamond "grit" say finish off on the 1200 atoma and go to the 320 shapton. Those diamond scratches are a PITA to remove. I suspect that the scratches I am trying to chase down are actually 140 atoma scratches but my VEHO is not here yet so I cant confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, drop down to the #320 Shapton & follow my guide.

I drop down to my #150 Ohmura after the #1 200 Atoma & progress from there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm 

I have the 120 so thats an option too. And the 220...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Go the #120 grit first - it is the safest option....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:17 pm 

Sadden wrote:So heres a technique I have been meaning to try for some time now but never quite felt like my skills were worth the spritz of 70$ / bottle spray......

So today I gave my Shapton 30k a spritz of 0.25 Micron Polycrystalline spray.

Is this a Shapton glass stone or other? Did you use only the spray and no water?

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm 

This was a shapton pro.

Pictures got moved so here they are are.

More recently than this I have been playing with boron carbide on shaptons.
This is a 2k shapton with a drop of 3k Boron Carbide. Very very cool finish. Much finer than the 2k alone.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]