It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My First Purchase
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 am 

To whom it may concern,

I'm a young prep cook looking to acquire my first high quality knife, I found the CKTG website via the Youtube channel of MrKnifeFanatic. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKnifeFanatic )

1. Are you right handed? - Yes, Right Hand Dominant
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) - Gyuto/Chefs Knive, maybe a santoku.
3. What size knife are you looking for? - 210mm, maybe 240 if it the extra length isn't unwieldy
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? - I don't know a lot about steel but carbon steel seems to get sharper then SS, I'm willing to put in the time to keep is maintained.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? I've never used a Japanese knife before, but as long as it feels good in the hand.
6. How much did you want to spend? - 150 to 250 USD
7. Do you know how to sharpen? - Not Yet, I'm still mastering honing.

More information below

The criteria of the knife I'm looking for [in order of importance] is a 7 or 8 inch all around Chefs Knife/Gyuto/Santoku, I'm right hand dominant. Next should be the level of sharpness that the blade can attain, followed by how easily it is to sharpen and hone, edge retention is very important too but I am willing to put in the effort to keep my knife in peak condition. Especially if I'm dropping a pretty penny on my petty salary. [Say that ten times fast!]

I'm leaning towards getting a "laser" but every other knife video I've viewed on MKF's channel has given me googly eyes. ( * 3 *)

I can appreciate the beauty of damascus steel and fine craftsmanship, but aesthetics are at the bottom of my list. If the handle is universal so I can throw the knife at my co-workers in a pinch, that's a plus, [poor wording much? Hahaha.] but that aspect is the least of my concerns. I'll be using the knife, it should be right for me.

The two knives I've been looking at are:

Richmond Laser Aogami Super

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RW7fDLVcY

or

Sakai Takayuki Damascus Gyuto [It's pretty, but does it perform as well as a the Richmond Laser Aogami Super? It got a lot of praise in that video.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiDxJnN ... PX2wU4pFjg

The Kono HD series has also caught my attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTHD2J2za6Y

Or would you recommend something else? I'm looking for the absolute best quality knife I can get for around $230. I'm sure I'll get a great knife no matter what I buy...but I want to get the right knife for me, and unfortunately I don't have a way of putting any of them in my hand for a day of testing.

I'll provide any other information you might require, I hope to hear from you soon.

Post subject: Re: My First Purchase
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 am 

I've never tried the Richmond laser or the sakai takayuki, but the Konosuke hd2 series is amazing!! The HD2 line is really amazing ( they don't make the original HD line anymore, they ran out of the steel) takes a sharp edge, holds it for a good amount of time. The knife is easy to sharpen and if you are worried about carbon steel, these are semi stainless steel so not as much care is needed ( still should be wiped down after using)

I would say go for a konosuke HD2 in a 240mm, The extra length really helps out

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 am 

+1 based on my first experience with the Konosuke Fujiwara Blue #2 Funayuki/Gyuto 240mm in a professional kitchen, I would have to try the Konosuke HD2 in 240 (don't go 210, IMO).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 am 

Thanks for your help so far, I'm assuming this is the knife you're both suggesting?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

This is a little out of my price point, especially if I opt for the saya, but I won't totally disregard the notion of saving my paycheck another week for it, since I'm not seeing anything but praise for it. I can always make my own sheath for it, but I'm not sure how effective the one a homemade one would be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 am 

If somebody who own's either a Richmond Laser AS or a Sakai Takayuki could weigh in I'd appreciate it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:27 am 

I am pretty happy with my AS Laser tho I haven't gotten to use it a whole lot yet (they just came back in stock). Konosuke's are really nice though, I won't get a chance to own or use one for a while but plenty of people rave about them and they look great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the AS Laser in 240mm and love it. Right up there with my Tanak Sekiso 240mm, but that one is all carbon and more reactive than the SS clad AS Laser. The AS Laser is wickedly thin behind the edge, but feels more robust than other lasers due to the way it's ground. The Tanaka Sekiso is one of the best cutters I have used/owed, even on sweet potatoes and stuff. If you can take care of the all carbon blade, it's a great knife!

The Kono HD are nice too, I have the Utimatum 270 HD made by Kono. Works very well, but it doesn't see much use with the AS Laser and Tanaka Sekiso around and now it also has to compete with a 240mm Honyaki :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

To be honest, your second most important criteria should be about the last IMHO.

All of the steels we like, and routinely recommend, are going to be able to get very, very sharp.

Second, carbon steels do not necessarily get sharper than a stainless steel....the new stainless steels available are not the crap they used to be.

AEB-L is a stainless steel and can get as sharp as any carbon steel. Between the two, flip a coin or buy based on looks, or buy based on price, or buy based on some other arbitrary criteria as they're both incredible knives.

That said, the HD2 gyuto or AS Laser are both very great knives. If either is on your radar, no sense looking else where.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 pm 

I recently purchased the 240mm HD2 Gyuto and in my opinion it is a knife everyone should own.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Knife Fanatic already has a swelled head. This is not going to help. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next