It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: EdgePro Essential Set - good for now and later?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm 

My current knives are these, which we received as a gift some years ago: http://www.amazon.com/Hayco-Five-Gourmet-Professional-Knife/dp/B000LM9IQE. I don't know what they're made of or even if they are all made of the same thing.

I promise to buy new knives someday, for real. While I've ruled nothing out, the knives I'm thinking about as the most realistic options are the Mac Pro 9.5-inch chefs knife and the Richmond Ultimatum — assuming I don't change my mind and opt for some kind of laser.

But first, I want to purchase an EdgePro.

I've been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker, which has proved...not useless, shall we say, but not enough. I'm told it will be inadequate for harder steel. However, despite reassurances that freehand sharpening is easy to learn and will be fun and will even alter my very consciousness, I still want to minimize the learning curve, at least for now. As an example of how my life is currently, I've hardly finished a book since the baby was born, and I know I love to read books. So the odds of me finding and spending time to practice something that might turn out to be a chore are not good.

As an aside, some folks elsewhere suggested the Wicked Edge, but I'm deterred by its price tag and its inability to create a back bevel more acute than 15 deg., as I might want to do on the future knife.

So my question is, what EdgePro set to get?

Is the Essential Set perfectly good for the cheapo knives I have now, and for whatever I acquire later?

Or am I better off getting the cheapest possible set now for my cheapo knives, thus saving a few bucks short term, and buying new stones later depending on what kind of knife I eventually buy?

Thank you for any advice you might provide.

Post subject: Re: EdgePro Essential Set - good for now and later?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:55 pm 

The EdgePro 1 set will sharpen those knives. IMO the Angle Cube, stop collar, spring, magnet, and deburring block will greatly enhance your experience. Depending upon what steel your knives are made of and their current condition, an Atoma 140 may mitigate suffering. I found that even some cheap steels can be very abrasion resistant and make reprofiling a misery.

Practice!

When you order your goal knives you should start building up your progression of good stones.

FWIW I keep my kit in a half hotel pan so it's always set up and mobile when I need a change of venue.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:26 pm 

Also, there's a used EP with Chosera stones in the forum classifieds right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:44 am 

I also came from a Sharpmaker and I agree that it was "inadequate". The EP has dramatically improved my sharpening and my enjoyment of the sharpening process. I bought the Essentials Set and it's a great set that gives you the basics, it also allows you to add in additional stones if you like in the future. For example some of my knives were in difficult to sharpen steels and I wanted additional low grit stones to re-profile the bevel. The Essential Set give you a basic set of quality stones that you are not going to outgrow but can add to if your interest in sharpening increases. There is a learning curve with the EP, but even as a beginner you get really really sharp knives.
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:47 pm 

I was alerted to the used set. Unfortunately, I won't be in a position to spend any money on this project for a while. You know how it goes...

Meanwhile, I'll keep reading posts in these fora and elsewhere, as the research is fun and free!

Thank you to the folks who offered some insight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm 

Follow-up question: other than the two stock Edge Pro stones, what do you not get with the Essential Set, which is described as having the stuff I don't need "stripped out".

The more I think about it, the more buying the Apex I seems cheaper short turn, more expensive long-term—if the Shapton Glass stones are what I would gravitate toward anyway. It seems like a lot of people here like those stones, but is it a given that's what I'd go with?

Thanks again to people who have helped me think about this already and for any further responses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

CJ - I have the EP Essentials set and it will put as good an edge on your knives as you will ever need in the kitchen, commercial or home. If you sharpen many knives that are very dull or if you need to change the angle of edge bevels/thin edges, you may want to invest in the Atoma 140 for the EP. The Shapton GS 500 stone will take a while to remove larger amounts of metal and you'll wear though it much more quickly. If you are sharpening knives that are in decent shape and you're matching the existing edge bevel angles, then the 500/1000/4000 is all you need. The Shapton Glass stones are great and good cutters on just about any kind of steel (well maybe not HAP40 :-)).

If you want to add an Angle Cube later, you'll be able to more accurately document and then repeat your edge angles for subsequent sharpenings and touch ups.

You can also add a strop later as well, although I like the idea of learning to strop well free-hand so you don't need to drag out and setup the EP just to touch up your knives.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 pm 

Like Steve says, the essentials set up will "will put as good an edge on your knives as you will ever need". I think for the price it's the best place to start out with the EP system. You have what you NEED to make knives sharp and it will stand on it's own if you don't intend to jump into the rabbit hole of EP stones. ;) It's also a great place to start if you know you'll be wanting to explore and add stones to your set up. A lot of us have gone nuts in this respect. The sky's the limit.

For instance I have sets of Shapton Pro, Shapton Glass, Nubatama, Chosera, Congress Tool stones that I mounted on blanks myself, and some that I even cut myself. Atoma plates, DMT plates, and a huge variety of strops etc. Like I said the sky really is is the limit. BUT the essentials set that Mark put together is where I would have started if I knew what I know now and it had been available back when I started out down the EP road.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 pm 

Thanks, folks. I appreciate everyone willing to jump in and help a guy out. Or maybe get a guy addicted. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:12 pm 

Right now im.addicted to kens compounds.... see my siggy.....

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]