It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Masakage Mizu and Yuki A-Gyuto, Maintenan Questio?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:28 pm 

I am looking at 240 mm Gyutos for home use. I wanted to know how the long term maintenance is on both of theses knives. Also, anyone have any comments on their use.

Is it intensive to take care of them? I take good care of my tools, but with wife and kids ( kids are also learning to cook) care might suffer a small bit. I like the look of these knives, but I am open to others.

I currently own a couple of Cutco (with the tang on my chef knive broken), Calphalon Katana Santoku,, and some Walmart purchased stuff... (All of which are at least 10+ years old). Recently, my wife gave me the authorization to upgrade... So I'm upgrading!

Keeping this in mind...

-I am Right-Handed,
-Looking at creating a set, for home use now but later use in Culinary School, (will buy lesser knives for school which is about 2-3 years away.),
-Looking at semi stainless but very open minded to all steels and clads,
-I am home taught by my mom and self educated as well, been cooking for 35 years, ( I'm 42 now),
-Looking to spend around $300 per knife. But can go up a bit.
-I know how to sharpen small pocket knives to axes.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Masakage Mizu and Yuki A-Gyuto, Maintenan Questio?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

DEVIL <> The Mizu is fully carbon while the Yuki is stainless-clad.

Honestly, they sort of both require the same care because they both are reactive blades. It's just that the stainless-cladding exposes only a small portion of reactive steel at the cutting edge so you have less reactive steel to care for. It's not as if it requires less care because it is still reactive steel, but there IS less of it to care for. Maybe that translates as easier to you; maybe it does not.

I find they're easier to care for only because there IS less steel to wipe. In a professional setting, wiping has to be quick. And a towel that is too dry or too wet will leave streaks, streaks of water react. With a stainless-clad there is a lot less reactive steel to wipe.

If you allow a patina to develop, it's care becomes easier. If you like shiny metal, just keep polishing with Flitz or Wenol. If you get any major oxidation that has developed into rust, you can polish it out with the aforementioned creams, or if it's advanced you can use a soft sponge w/an abrasive like BonAmi or BarKeeper'sFriend.

If you're anally retentive & would like to be with these blades, you can wipe the exposed reactive steel with Camelia or Mineral oils after washing & thoroughly drying the knives.

side note:
You mention culinary school at 45. I am not privy to your situation nor the impetus to go to cooking school, but I'm a strong advocate of going to work in the industry and earning $30k a year at an entry level position as opposed to paying $15-$30K a year in tuition. That's potentially a $60,000 annual spread. I've never hired a culinary graduate who knew his ass from his elbow, gastronomically speaking of course. Learning on the job, like the Europeans, teaches you more about the Profession, as a whole, then any school could dream of. ITK we live and die by the premise, "sink or float." The VAST MAJORITY of graduates just don't have it in them to perform ITK, and they never even have a clue until after they've effectively wasted a shiite load of cash... or more aptly credit. Like I said, I have no idea your impetus in being school. Could be solely for knowledge, could be because you would for some reason actually want to work in food service... who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:13 pm 

Thanks for the info...

On a side note... I am not going to school to join the profession, I just want to go and learn the finer points and all the different techniques. In my current job, I am eligible to retire at age 50. Financially speaking, I will be ok at that time. Their is one community college near me that has a great program and at lower cost. And I am only seeking the cooking aspect, not the business side.

Should I decide on going into the business, I will go back to school and learn as much as I can. The rest will have to come by way of OJT!

But thanks for the advice, theses are things I need to know about anyway!
:D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Like I said, I don't know your situation, but if in fact, you do intend on going into the business (horrible mistake), I reiterate my suggestion... don't waste your money on the circus they call "Culinary School." After over two decades of professional food service, I have yet to meet, more pertinently hire, anyONE graduating from school with even a modicum of functional knowledge. I know plenty of graduates who know their shiite, but they got it from working... never their schooling.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:50 pm 

Thanks for the Info! You are another voice has has said the same thing. My cousin grew up in the kitchen with her mom (my mom's sister) she later went to work in a step sisters restaurant, and then later school. Like you, she learned more OjT than school. She is the one to suggest looking at Community College programs.

Anyhoo... I want to learn the minor details that are not described in receipts. I cook for fun and family.

Thank again! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 am 
Forum Moderator

DEVIL <> You are definitely the anomaly, in that, you would engage a curriculum for a personal knowledge w/no serious professional intent. I commend your apparent desire to learn.

I still state, as clear as the air I breathe, "The minor details are EXACTLY what you don't get in school. You only get those from the Chef you've convinced your interest is sincere, and you only get that from shedding blood & sweat together."

Please don't misinterpret me. I am not urging you to not pursue an education; rather sharing my perspective to aid your due diligence in selecting an effective forum for that learning to take place. Good luck in retirement. You're surely one of the rare few who can quit the work force at 50 w/comfort till death...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 am 

Many great sites/books to indulge in and learn the ropes of technique and cooking. But nothing like doing it in a heat of the moment setting quite compares. I'm cooking 4 1/2 years, have meet several cooks out of culinary school ranging from fresh to 10 years, they all still turned to me when they were in shit. Hands on learning is for sure the best way to learn this craft.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:18 am 

Experiences will range with school as all programs are different. I for one am starting up culinary at a community college in a month. Their a production based program so everything we cook is being sold to the students through a couple different restaurants and a cafeteria that are on campus. We have chefs in the program from all different backgrounds who we will work under. The program is very different from others that I have looked at and decided it to be a good fit for what I wanted to do.

As with all things in life you are going to get out of it what you put into it. You can easily watch videos and read books and practice cooking without a problem and end up being just as good as anyone else as well. Recipes are easy to follow and a few basics get you a long ways to being able to cook basically anything you desire.

Just my 2c..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

The biggest thing for for me, is being able to cook something that others will authentically enjoy, consistently. You know, when a person closes their eyes and goes "mmmmm, what did you put in this?" I've gone through so many recipes (mostly for myself) that somehow, do not quite turn out as expected...to the point where I almost ignore recipes now, and go with what I'm tasting.

Culinary school is probably a good way to get the basic knowledge, but I totally trust in that advice...that you only get those fine details (the ones that make tasting food a lasting experience) from a skilled mentor in the workplace.
Great skill to have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:09 pm 

Wow, this went from knife maintence to culinary school... COOL! LoL! I really appreciate everyone's advice! These are things I need to know! At 50- I am able to retire... I'm a Deputy Sheriff. My wife also works so at that time we "should" be ok.

You could call this a hobby, but I do it because I love food! I was a Marine and was fortunate to travel the world and experience different cultures. And food prep ( in a home kitchen) is fun for me. I know it's a different world in business side.

Recent events made me realize how important nutrition really is. My mother is terminally ill with cancer. Her diet is quickly becoming limited to what she can tolerate, and must be liquified. So trying to find different and flavorful foods for her has been difficult.

I turned to other sites and found many new simple receipys from many chefs. Culinary School is a dream that I have had for decades. My belief is to learn the correct basic skills and any other techniques i can, then intern somewhere to really learn the true skills.

Annomilly, me? Yes!!! Or maybe a tad crazy. I just find cooking for family and friends to be alot of fun!

Again, Thank You for your advice. I always welcome comments. (May not like what you say at times, but welcomed netherless)

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next