It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fujiwara nashiji petty
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 pm 

Hey all, just got my Fujiwara petty and it is outstanding. Love the look of the knife and its very sharp ootb. My question is about maintenance on this knife. Should I maintain it with my Mac black ceramic home or is the steel too hard? If no how should I maintain the edge?

Post subject: Re: Fujiwara nashiji petty
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm 

Ceramic is harder than any steel, it will hone the edge without a problem just remember to use light pressure or you will continually roll the edge over itself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

...or not subject yourself to that risk, and strop on charged balsa. Not that you can't roll an edge on balsa, but a balsa strop is easier to graduate/control your degrees on & its WAY MORE VERSATILE than a rod...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 pm 

What exactly is a balsa strop and how is it used

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/haamstkit.html

You use as you would a stone, but with only light pressured edge trailing strokes. Thing is though, it will extend the amount of time between you needing to visit the stones by a remarkable amount, and the versatility of leathers (e.g., kangaroo, spit leather, bovine, horse, even nanocloth, etc. ) & abrasives (i.e., boron carbide, cbn, diamond, etc.) is an effective way of improving edge longevity as well as achieving your ultimate edge.

I want to... well ok, I have hurt myself as punishment due to the amount of steel I have unnecessarily ground off my beloved steel. Strops are the biggest solitary improvement to the sharpening dynamic that I have ever engaged. They can refresh a tired edge to razor keenness, and can improve a sharpened edge to a totally different level at a considerably lower price point than stones.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:06 am 

+20

That's the best advice I could emphasize for someone just starting to sharpen, with a newly bought knife.

I sharpened my new Fujiyama the other night...for the first time.
5 light minutes on the BBW (edge leading)....and over an hour, of more light strokes on the charged strop (edge trailing).

The result? A very small, (almost unnoticeable) 'razor sharp' edge.

Don't waste steel!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:19 am 

An hour of stropping? That's a bit extreme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 am 

Not consistent stropping...

Stropping and periodic checking on the scope. The edge from Konosuke wasn't exactly flat.
After flattening it with the stone (which I observe with the scope), I like to remove the scratches from the edge while at the same time, refining the edge itself further.

Whatever the case, I always look at what I'm doing to the edge with the scope along the way, to be sure the process is going the way I want it to.
It also allows me to see any mistakes I may be making along the way. For instance, after stropping on CrOx for a bit...I naturally moved
to the nanocloth/Poly. Upon looking at it, I noticed it was scratching more than helping (reverse process)...which shouldn't happen with the poly because
it's a smaller grit/micron size. That told me that the nanocloth has too much metal swarf collected on it...

So, I need to clean it! Getting the first edge the way I like it, isn't extreme for me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]