It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD, HD2, White #2 and Blue #2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:57 am 
Forum Moderator

Awesome, awesome, awesome !!! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:13 am 

Fresh batch of pico-de-gallo dine in 10 minutes including clean up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:21 pm 

Just pulled the trigger myself on the kono blue fuji funayuki. I've been a bit on the fence about the flatter profile, but one of my "complaints" when chopping has been running out of room at the front end of the knife where it curves upwards. Technique issue? Most likely, but this one appears to have a longer flatter sweet spot. I doubt I'll have anything to complain about though once I get my grubby mits on it. I'm curious from a usage perspective what would the differences in cutting tasks / techniques be between the modern funayuki and gyotus? I used the word modern as I've read that historically the funayuki was closer to a deba, but that has changed in modern designs.

Big smiles over here this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:38 pm 

Awesome Snipes! Wait until you open that box!! I am not sure about the question related to the differences in techniques between the funayuki and gyuto, but my guess is that the gyuto has more of a curved tip and therefore may be better for rocking where the flatter funayuki is better for push/chop cutting as there is more blade contact with the board at one time.

Interesting information from Korin's site:

The Funayuki is a multi-purpose Japanese traditional knife. The name "Funayuki" or "Going on a boat" in Japanese comes from a tradition of fishermen, who kept a knife on their boats to clean fish to prepare their meals on their boats. Although the profile is similar to a Deba, the blade is much thinner than a Deba, making this a much more versatile knife.

The funayuki knife has a slight blade edge on the back side of the knife to prevent moisture from gathering on the blade edge and to provide edge stability.

However, due to the thinness of these knives, they are also very fragile and are only recommended to highly skilled Traditional Japanese knife users. In Japan, only executive chefs are deemed skilled enough to use these knives, because of how easily they chip from improper usage.

Warning
The funayuki style is the sharpest and most difficult Japanese style knife to use.
The funayuki style is not to be treated as a deba knife.
Funayuki knives are very thin and therefore very fragile.
Korin does not recommend this knife for Traditional Japanese style knife beginners. Only highly skilled Traditional Japanese knife users.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 pm 

Badboy - thanks for the info...I think. That scares the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:06 pm 

Don't read too much into the info from Korin about funayuki's. Those warnings don't apply to the knife you bought. The Konosuke funayuki profile bears little resemblance to a true Japanese funayuki. The Kono has a little bit of a flatter profile than a regular kono gyuto. There's isn't that much difference in use, at least for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:41 pm 

Thanks vinhster. That's about what I had gathered based on other comments including Badboy's initial impressions, but nice to hear it again. Just cleared out a slot for it in the drawer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:59 pm 

upping the post count. :) Just came across a member's short youtube video showing a side by side comparison of the fuji blue gyuto and the funayuki. Surprisingly similar and I think I made the great choice. you can search youtube for kono blues profile.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 pm 

Korin is an excellent source for misinformation. While they're frequently wrong about knives, the depth of the bullshit they spread about sharpening is unmatched. Greatness should not go unrecognized. Bravo Korin. Bravo.

BDL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

There is a big difference between a Funayuki profile gyuto and a real Funayuki. I love funayuki profiled knives!

Page 3 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3