It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to sharpen my Fujiwara Nashiji
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hello my name is Sean. I like your website and everything it offers. In February I bought a Fujiwara Nashiji 210mm Gyuto Octagonal Handle from your site. I love the knife very much but my ignorance of high quality knives is great. I use the knife every day at work slicing and dicing cases of produce a day. I have yet to hone the edge on a steel or sharpen it on a stone because i am not sure of the angles of it, I can see they are different on each side of the blade and I don't want to ruin it. Also the handle recently started falling off of it. So I am asking for advice on sharping/honing the blade and how to put the handle back on so it stays. I have been meaning to take it to the local sushi restaurant and asking the chef there but I have not had the time during their slow hours.

Thanks for your help

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: How to sharpen my Fujiwara Nashiji
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Sean,

I'm happy to help. First, take a magic marker and mark just the edge on each side. Then take your stone and sharpen to remove the entire mark. This is an easy trick to figure out the correct angle to copy the existing edge of your knife when you first sharpen it.

You didn't mention what stone you have or if you have one. If you don't have a stone pick one of these combo stones up. They have a mid grit rougher side and a finer finishing side. You want to spend most of your time on the rougher side until you can feel a burr. Once you do flip it over and repeat. Then get rid of the burr by slicing through something like cork and you're good to go.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

Now the handle you can re-attach by removing it. Let it completely dry out for a day and then put some epoxy in the cavity and then stick the tang back into the handle and let it dry. You can get epoxy at any local hardware store.

If you have more questions please respond here and we'll help you more. I gave you a very brief how to sharpen tutorial and watching a few videos would help you if you haven't tried it before. I've done many and you can find them on the site.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 am 

In February I bought . . . I use the knife every day at work slicing and dicing cases of produce a day.

Mark's recommendation is great but you might want to add: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/la400grst.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

To add to Mark's suggestions for the handle work:

If it's just loose and it's not completely falling off, you'll need to remove it the rest of the way. If you can't simply pull it off, tape the sides with blue painters tape and then do this:

Then use some 120 grit sandpaper to remove any existing rust on the tang....simple maintenance that while you have the knife apart certainly won't hurt anything.

When you buy the epoxy, buy the 30 or 60 minute epoxy....DO NOT buy the 5 minute or 1 minute epoxy for the love of gawd!! :)

Mix the epoxy and then using a toothpick or some such drip the epoxy into the tang hole in the handle......do this slowly and let the epoxy settle all the way to the bottom of the tang hole.

Now, you can do this two ways at this point:

1. You can overfill the tang hole, shove the tang back into the handle and the epoxy will come oozing out.....you'll have a mess to clean up, but you'll know the handle is completely encased in epoxy and will NEVER come out again and NOTHING will be getting back into the handle. If you do this method, tape all parts of the knife right around the tang with blue painters tape so that no part of the metal blade is visible when you put the tang into the handle slot. Also tape with blue painters tape the top of the handle leaving the tang slot just barely open. As the epoxy gets close to setting, remove these pieces of tape from the blade and the front of the handle and you'll have a clean job. Before that, leave a bit of the epoxy glopped around the small gap between the tang and the tang slot.....the epoxy will settle some, so leaving this area globbed on for a bit will help fill any of that settling.

2. Only partially fill the tang hole in the handle and press the tang back into the handle. You might not have enough in there to cause the overflow, but it will hold the handle on very well still. No mess this way.

OMG, what a run on mess.....hope that makes sense. :o

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:54 pm 

Makes perfect sense Adam and some good advice.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]