It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I joined the JK club!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 am 

After about 25 years with my trusted Gerbers and over a couple of years of haunting various knife forums, I decided that I would find out what all the hubbub was about. I pre-ordered the 240mm AO Super Laser Gyuto for my first Japanese knife.

I then realized that it would have some rough company in the block with the boys from Portland, Oregon. I can almost hear them down there at night, drinking craft beers, playing hacky sack, and discussing the ramifications of My Little Pony on the geopolitical scene until the wee hours. So I got my Japanese American friend some companionship from the old country in the form of a 165mm Nakiri in HAP40 Damascus.

And if those two get any guff, there's a 360mm AO Super Yanagiba I have my eye on that can set matters straight!

Post subject: Re: I joined the JK club!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:56 am 

Only one thing to say to that . . . :D Look out, here they come!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 pm 

I received the Richmond 240mm AS Laser a few weeks ago and got to try it out last week. I was most pleased with its performance and now understand what all the fuss is about. My cutting technique changed from rocking a big belly German style knife to quick wrist movements that silently made quick dice out of peppers. Mark should be proud of such a fine product made available at a reasonable price.

Also took delivery of a HAP40 Nakiri from a different vendor. The Laser was superior out of the box. I have taken neither to the stones yet.

And, yes, that 360mm Yanagiba is on its way...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks! :) Glad you liked my knife.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes indeed. :) In terms of thinness behind the edge, I'm not really sure if there is anything on the market that is thinner. I loved the one I got to test, wicked wicked good penetration. Thanks for sharing!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]