It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gyuto for home use...thoughts?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:06 pm 

1. Are you right handed?
Right

2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
Gyuto.

3. What size knife are you looking for?
Probably 240mm....any thoughts on a 270mm for home use. I have three 240mm Gyutos, after coming from a 7" santoku and can never go back to the small size, so I'm curious about how the larger size feels but am not sure I can take advantage of it at home.

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
Carbon or clad with carbon core. I have the three carbon steel knives: Fujiwara 240mm gyuto, a Tojiro ITK 150mm petty, and a Tanaka Kurouchi 160mm Nakiri. I love the ease of sharpening, the response to steeling, the fine edge they take, and the character the develop with their patina. I wipe my knives down between each ingredient and wash immediately when done so care is not a problem.

5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Probably Wa. I have two knives with the Wa handles, but neither is a gyuto. I have a Tojiro TIK 150mm petty and a Tanaka Kurouchi 160mm Nakiri. The ITK grip is too small for my hands but the Tanaka is comfortable. All my other knives are Yo handled, and I like them well enough. I think I might prefer the Wa handles because the bolster on Yo handles moves my pinch grip more forward and presses my middle finger more firmly into the choil causing discomfort. I also like the idea of a more blade heavy knife.

6. How much did you want to spend?
No more than $225 or so, but not sure I need to spend that to get what I need.

7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Learning all the time...I started sharpening about two years ago. I am not very good, but most of my knives I can get a factory edge or better with a little trial and error.

Ok, so the preliminary questions out of the way...

I have found I use my full length gyutos almost exclusively over my petty, satoku, nakiri, and paring knives.

I also keep gravitating to my carbon knives. Besides their keen edge and ease of edge maintenance, they are lighter than my Tojiro DP (my other workhorse).

After about three years of playing with different knife styles, sizes, and materials I am thinking about investing a bit more in a gyuto of the style and material I am gravitating towards.

I have two lists, #1 is pie-in-the-sky maybe for my birthday list, #2 is more affordable...more an extended trial than an end-all-be-all.

So my question is:
What are you guy's thoughts on which list you might buy from given my constraints?
and
What would you count out or add to the lists below? Any clear winners or losers here? Price is an issue so best buy for the money counts.

-Goko (being newer I did not see a lot of comparisons to the knives listed below)
-Masakage Yuki (also newer)
-Sakai Yusuke
-Moritaka Supreme of Aogami #2
-Hiromoto (Yo handled)
-Masamoto HC (Yo handled)

-Tamashin White #1 Gyuto
-Tojiro ITK Gyuto

Post subject: Re: Gyuto for home use...thoughts?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tanaka Sekiso 240mm gyuto and the Richmond AS Laser need to be on that list since you don't mind carbon steel and like a Wa handle!!! They are my top 2 performing knives (well, until I put the Honyaki thru it's paces more!). Neither are a thin laser, they are both midweight gyuto's that have awesome grinds to help reduce sticking or wedging. The extra weight helps them cut on their own and they feel more robust than a laser does. They cut extremely well and very easily, take and hold a wicked edge. My Kono 270 HD Ultimatum doesn't see much use with the Tanaka and AS Laser around! It gets brought out for watermelon, slicing down larger foods and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

From your list i really like the yuki. That knife has a hold on me. I like the steel and grind a lot. I can also get it screaming sharp in no time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 am 

I think you would like the Sakai Yusuke from your list. White #2 is very easy to sharpen and is a fun, versatile steel to use. I have to agree with Tim on the Tanaka Sekiso also, that one is on my "to get" list.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 pm 

The Tanaka Sekiso is an interesting pick...I am fairly ambivalent about damascus patterned steel so this had not come up in my homework. I'll have to chew on that one.

Would the Richmond AS Laser be more prone to chipping, being a laser, than a more medium weight blade?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes in general hard steels that are very thin can chip more easily than softer steels that have wider edges.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]