It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro DP razor sharp off nubatamas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:25 am 
Forum Moderator

This is my 2nd Tojiro DP in VG10 as most know a very poor chef and I mean poor in his actions, speaks religion constantly and than drops f-bombs like poop threw a goose and steals others stuff. Anyway I started with a Mashiro 400 grit and went up the ladder to finish with a 10k nubatama provided by ken Schwartz. Hope you enjoy as most didn't like the Chambriard pics, video, or knife so here's some redemption I hope all I can say is spuds beware.
http://youtu.be/pxKH6oa-ReA

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP razor sharp off nubatamas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:25 am 

Out of curiosity, have you used a Richmond Artifex? Just wondering how it compares with the Tojiro DP series in performance. They are around the same price point which is why I was wondering as I'm looking for a less expensive knife to take to culinary school. Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I sharpened some if the first art fixes for line chefs and they were thrilled beyond belief. The tojiro a little heaver the the artifex but I personally think the artifex will be the best bang for your buck , they sharpen easier and hold a edge just as long or Linder than the tojiro and being aeb-l will hone better and a little faster to me vg 10 makes a horrible noise in a hone. But I would advise getting the ceramic hone from idahone mark sells both and they do a much better job the the steel ones. Giving what I know and if I had both knifes brand new in the box both as equally sharpened as close to each other as possible I would pick up the artifex because its lighter, Hones better and I think you will get more bang for the dollar and you can afford the hone also that would be great. Please others chime in I would love to here other opinions. I personally think the artfex is the way to go for what you are doing. Every line chef I sharpened for are still useing it with no issues. Hope that helped and please grab a ceramic hone your knife will thank you as you go! Just my op so others chime in just in case I missed something. Jmbullman Also will you be sharpening yourself on stone or what is your plan as to sharpen your new baby?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:13 pm 

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I am planning on purchasing a ceramic hone and I am buying a new set of stones, I think I've decided upon the Shapton GlassStones. There are so many great options for everything though that I imagine I'll be purchasing and trying out others in the near future. I may end up getting the wa-gyuto which I know is FKM and not AEB-L, I like wa handles however the change in steel has me hesitant. I have heard a lot more about AEB-L than I have FKM. I'm sure that FKM is a great steel but I imagine its not as hard and doesn't take or keep an acute edge as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 am 
Forum Moderator

That should do you well in your choice. Have you had any experience with glass stones? If not what have you used before just for curiosity. Peace. Jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]