It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sharpen a Deba
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:32 pm 

Just bough a deba. It was not very sharp out of the box but it should have a decent quality. It has happend before to me that high quality knifes not have been sharp out of the box. But how should I sharpen a Deba. Should I do it in the same way as my yanagiba. Is a deba flat or hollow ground? It seems like that there is a micro bevel on the flat side. It that wise?

Post subject: Re: Sharpen a Deba
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm 

Yanagi's deba's and usuba's in most all cases should have microbevels. The deba because its being used for rough work should also have a bit steeper of a microbevel near the heel of the blade for going through bone.

The front bevel should be flat or slightly convex and the backside is hollow ground and needs to be layed flat on the stone. If not too dull you can work the microbevel a few times and lightly polish the back which should bring the sharpness up to a good level.

Here is a good video showing the basics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg9b_fZDrN8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

norway wrote:Just bough a deba. It was not very sharp out of the box but it should have a decent quality. It has happend before to me that high quality knifes not have been sharp out of the box. But how should I sharpen a Deba. Should I do it in the same way as my yanagiba. Is a deba flat or hollow ground? It seems like that there is a micro bevel on the flat side. It that wise?

What type of Deba - knowing this will make a world of difference...

Pictures please...??

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

In that video Jason linked to, it shows them putting a microbevel on the flat side of the deba. That's to make that section of the deba more robust.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:15 am 
Forum Moderator

NORWAY <> Everything else has been covered, but I wanted to add that it is quite common for higher end knives to come relatively dull. In fact, it is not uncommon for a JK to not come with any edge at all as many buyers would prefer to put their own edge on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 am 

Hello
I do not think this is a high end knife. Bough it on ebay. Most in order to test if a deba is something I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SAKAI-Carbon-Steel-Deba-Knife180mm-Akebono-/380693966628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a320ef24

After inspection of the knife it seem like there is a micro bevel on the flat side of the knife. Is that wise?

Planning to buy a real deba for about 150-200$ at chefknivestogo if I find out that I like to use a deba for breaking down fish.

Last edited by norway on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 am 

Looks like a decent deba and should sharpen as one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:54 pm 

norway wrote:Hello
I do not think this is a high end knife. Bough it on ebay. Most in order to test if a deba is something I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SAKAI-Carbon-Steel-Deba-Knife180mm-Akebono-/380693966628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a320ef24

After inspection of the knife it seem like there is a micro bevel on the flat side of the knife. Is that wise?

Planning to buy a real deba for about 150-200$ at chefknivestogo if I find out that I like to use a deba for breaking down fish.

"Real" deba? What you bought is a "real" deba, just an inexpensive one.

That is likely not a microbevel you are seeing on the back side of the blade, which is not flat, but rather concave. That side of the blade is sharpened by laying it flat on a finishing stone an polishing it. This removes the burr raised by sharpening the beveled side and leaves a thin flat area around the perimeter of the blade. If a microbevel is applied to a single-bevel blade, it is always applied to the beveled side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rick wrote:"That is likely not a microbevel you are seeing on the back side of the blade... [rather] a thin flat area around the perimeter of the blade. If a microbevel is applied to a single-bevel blade, it is [nearly] always applied to the beveled side."

+1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Micro-bevels are sometimes added to the flat side, near the heel, of deba as Jon shows in this video.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next