It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Day off #1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Had a customer send me a 300mm CarboNext suji and a Fujiwara 240mm Carbon gyuto to converted to bolsterless Wa handles! Suji has a octagon handle with Faux Horn and Kauri wood, gyuto has a D shaped handle in the same materials.

4 knives ready to remove the handles! Tojiro ITK Bread Knife (black Micarta, white spacer, orange Buckeye Burl handle with white liners on the tang), Artifex Boning Knife (Curly Maple handle, Curly Maple Saya), and the Fuji and CarboNext:

Handles removed:

Bye Bye Bolsters!

Where the bolsters were will be the neck of the knife, so I had to clean that up and blend it with the blades. I also did a thinning job to the blades and refinished the whole blades, too. Customer wanted to keep the asymmetry that was in the knives.

Once the blades are cleaned up, then I rough out the Wa style tang. I go with a shorter tang usually; Western style knives often have a hardened tang that isn't as soft and flexy as the traditional Japanese tangs.

I had prepped and roughed out the handles while waiting for the knives to arrive. USPS 2 day priority is a joke, took like 4 or 5 days and missed the delivery by 2 days.

Tang slots filed and the fit being cleaned up:

Handles clean up and rounded at the front and back, working on the final fit before epoxying!

And Voila!

Handles:

Rounded the spines, choils and neck areas while I was in there.

Choil Shots!

Carbonext Suji:

Fujiwara 240mm:

Just gotta sharpen them up and rub in a few more coats of Oil Finish!

Post subject: Re: Day off #1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

TAZ <> I thought you said you had the day off.?! ;)

No... seriously, YOU PHUCKING NAILED IT ON THESE! THESE ARE MY ABSOLUTE TOTAL FAVORITE HANDLES YOU HAVE EVER DONE! NOW THESE... THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL! I WOULD CHOOSE THESE OVER ANY OTHER HANDLE YOU HAVE EVER DONE... 100 TIMES OUT OF 100.

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR ARTISTRY!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

LOL, I knew you were going to like these! Simple, clean and elegant, not too flashy. The Kauri is very lightweight as well, these balance right near the kanji towards the heel.

Just finished sharpening these up, too :) Went to my Shobu and then stropped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:56 pm 

Tim I'm seriously to stoked! Cant wait to get these back into the kit.

Melampus, simplicity was the name of the game on this project! Glad to see someone shares my liking for simpler wa's.

Kedar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:01 pm 

Kauri is my nemisis. Every handle I have tried (4 now) in Kauri ends up fubar. Dont know why. But those look great. Although, shame to loose those beautiful western handles. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 pm 

Trust me Matt these were due for an upgrade, now they're up to to the level of that awesome birch handle you put on the AS Laser. (which by the way has become my daily driver. Its a seriously good knife)

Kedar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:49 pm 

Those look exactly like what I have been thinking about for my Kono suji!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys! These came out pretty nice!

I also made lemons into lemonade today. Yesterday, when I came home from work at 8am, my mom tells me that she chipped one of my knives. Hoping it wasn't one of the good ones, she shows me the Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke, missing like 1/2" from the tip. I guess they were putting something in the cabinet above the knives and knocked it off of the other cabinet it was on. Well, I always wanted a longer nakiri! So I decided to give it a full regrind, get rid of the KU and have some fun with it. Handle is a take off from a Masakage Mizu I rehandled months ago. Debating on whether to keep it as a long Nakiri or bring the tip down into a nasty pointy Funayuki! I cleaned it up and acid etched it.

Blade length is 220mm:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:32 am 

Tim, these are awesome. Admire the creativity to make the best out of the broken Tojiro. And man oh man does that carbonext 300mm suji give me some ideas for my own carbonext 300mm suji. Loving the TKC by the way, couldn't be happier.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:09 pm 

Lol. And none of these are knives of mine or a handle. Now as for the next few weeks.... Well there might be another shortly. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next