It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help me pick out my new Petty knife
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:33 am 
Forum Moderator

I know my Tanaka's hold their edge very well at home! Blue and white steel hold their edges differently. It was once described as White steel loses it's edge linearly (slow degradation) where the Blue steel may lose the off the stone feeling about the same, then plateau out for a while, then drop off more. My Tanaka gyuto went like 6 months before seeing the sharpening stones with just stropping with home use as my primary knife, and another 3 months rotating a few other gyuto's in.

The Tanaka Sekiso series is also clad and I've had outstanding edge retention with them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

Melampus wrote:I suggest buying off of preferred feel. If you want a lighter livelier knife, get the Sekiso. If you want a more robust knife, get the Yuki.

+1. I just recently got the Tanaka Sekiso. It just glided through everything--it was fun to use. Has a little bit of flex, but I only noticed that when checking for it. The handle is underwhelming (I'm not a fan of ho wood anyway), and, IMHO, a little small. I don't really care because it cuts so well.

The Yuki handle, from the website pics, appears a bit larger diameter. But it's also ho wood.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

We can fix the handles :) And maybe acid etch the blade, too :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 pm 

Okay. Just bought the Tanaka Sekiso. Looking forward to it's arrival! Thanks again for all the input guys! You make buying knives online much easier than imagined. Will post a follow up after it's arrival!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome !! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hey guys. Got the Tanaka in today. At first impressions, this thing is a beautifully crafted knife. Light and nimble and incredibly sharp OOTB. Actually the sharpest knife I've owned to date with factory edge. I was taken back by the size. It is roughly an inch shorter than my current Tojiro DP petty from tang to tip. I know Wa-handled knives run a bit shorter, but this was significant. No worries though, it has a great heel height and almost crafted like a mini santoku in my opinion, making the chopping duties I was looking for much more pleasurable. I was surprised to find that this knife is reactive. I thought the damascus was for protection? Maybe I'm wrong? But I rinsed off the knife after use and didn't wipe it down right away and have a patina forming on the tip of the blade. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:04 am 
Forum Moderator

KK <> It's not a stainless damascus cladding. It is a fully reactive blade.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 pm 

Yes, I found it reactive and starting to form a patina on first use. I assume it will settle down once it gets a patina.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:29 pm 

Would you guys suggest to forcing a patina on this knife? Or would that ruin the natural damascus significantly?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

An acid dip seems to pre react the blade. It will still patina, but much less.

My Tanaka 240 etched:

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next