It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: new stones choices?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm 

Hello guys I am about to place an order but was wondering if you guys think this it the right set of stones for my uses. Most of the knives I use are vg-10 from global and shun. Just got my first two white steel knives and need two more stone in my line up. Keep in mind I am professional cook and my knife get used more then the average joe.

I am currently using
Bester 700
King 1200
king 4000. 8-)

wanted to add
sharpton glass 2000
Ozuku Asagi (Koppa) 8-)

So what do you think of my selection?

Post subject: Re: new stones choices?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm 

I've heard good things about the King 1200, so I'd say the GS2k is a bit of a waste. Lot of money for a short step up.

Get a Rika 5k, and a strop of some sort.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:31 am 
Site Admin

I vote for the Arashiyama 6K and the Ozuku Koppa. Or switch out the Ozuku and get a balsa pad and some CO paste.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takenoko8000.html

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/handamerican.html

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:01 am 

Thanks for the input guys. Just one last thing before I order. I am looking to get rid of the king 4000, I have had it for many years and its time for it to go. I also thought after 1.2k and 2k to jump straight to the Ozuku Asagi (Koppa). is that a really bad idea?

I do strop some of my knifes. Got a old belt and and honing compound.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:24 am 

2k naniwa green brick comes to mind.

You could follow it with a Nubatama han han stone and strop or still pick up a natural, though for a busy cook I don't see where you will have all the time to sharpen? Rushing through the finishing steps on a 15k or higher stone never ends well.

I would finish the stainless stuff on a lower grit such as a 2k or even a 1k and the white steel on a natural or similar type stone for its sharpness and I'm guessing its less of a workhorse.

So....
700 bester
2k green brick
Ozuku

Or...
700 bester
King 1200
6k arashiyama
Ozuku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm 

how does the Arashiyama 6K feel when your working on it. I tried to find as many reviews as I can on it and left wondering. How will it compare to the king 4k and will it work really well to follow up with Koppa? I fond the king 4k really soft, hard to sharpen on(takes for ever) and only really good for stropping.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'd go for an Atoma 140 to beef up your low end and give you a great flattener for your coarser stones. As a person who uses knives a lot you will need to have stones for repairs, chips etc. Also consider the 150 Nubatama here as a great low end addition.

On the other end the Ozuku won't really greatly benefit your Globals and Shuns and is a hard polisher. Consider a Yaginoshima asagi (the less expensive one Mark has) as a nice all around choice. Not quite as hard but a bit more versatile. Most naturals aren't great for highly abrasion resistant steels, but that isn't your current lineup. The jump from a 2k synthetic to an Ozuku is too much. The Ozuku is also at least as hard as the Shapton GS 2k. With some other stones before the Ozuku, it can serve as a final polisher for the white steel knives.

While I like the GS 2k, it is a sort of odd man out in this lineup - very hard and crisp edges. Consider the new Nubatama Ume 2k brick or if you are concerned with the natural stone finish and splurging a bit consider the new 2 or 3k Bamboo as a leadin to the Yaginoshima.

Suggested lineup considering what you have (excluding the 4k you have for now) and a less than strong concern with the aesthetics of a natural stone finish:

140 Atoma
150 Nubatama - removes 140 scratch pattern cuts fast and leaves a finish that lets you jump to a 1k or even 2k stone, depending on the steel.
Existing Bester 700 (for now) Eventually replace with a 1k stone
2k Nubatama Ume (You can use the 1200 king optionally here, but probably less and less)
5k Nubatama (new stone Mark needs to put up on his site) Consider the 4k and 6k Nubatama UME or Bamboo alternatives here.
Yaginoshima Asagi.

Afterwards consider stropping with 0.75 micron CBN on Balsa or leather - great for daily use - not as fine as the ultrafine compounds, but brings back a 24k finish quickly as a daily touchup choice.

For a heavy user of knives, your low end is more important than your high end, so I'd start filling things out from the bottom up.

There is no one perfect lineup for everything, so consider these as a reasonable choice for the knives you have.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

mark.l wrote:how does the Arashiyama 6K feel when your working on it. I tried to find as many reviews as I can on it and left wondering. How will it compare to the king 4k and will it work really well to follow up with Koppa? I fond the king 4k really soft, hard to sharpen on(takes for ever) and only really good for stropping.

The arashiyama should cut better than the king 4K even though it's a finer stone. Very nice feedback and leaves a good finish. I often will hit the strops after this stone but going to the Ozuku would be fine. Bigger jumps on the higher grits is acceptable because the scratches are so much finer. Just like sanding wood if you're familiar with woodworking and sandpaper.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 am 

For Shun and Global you really only need to go to a 6 K, personally anything over that and edge retention takes a dive. For me, when I do sharpen these knives that's where I stop is the Sanyo 6k and toss in a few passes with a leather strop at the end and it's a really nice edge. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:24 pm 

Really like the Arashiyama 6K. It is very solid and smooth yet still polishes quickly.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next