It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What stropping compound to use?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks mark,

I was wondering if you could help me with stropping compound choices for my knives. I am a full time sous chef from Australia.
My sharpening kit is naniwa ss: 400 , 1k , 5k
I would like a compound to use after 5k to get a scary sharp edge that pops hairs but still has enough teeth to slice a tomato. But I also have a fews knives i finish on 1k is there an appropriate compound to improve the edge from a 1k stone whilst still retaining the teeth?
A friend has recommended 1u boron carbide finished with 1/4u diamond spray for ultimate sharpness. Any thoughts ?
My main knives are
Ikanshi taddastuna inox 210 wa gyuto
Missono Sweden 270 suji
Sabatier nongent 270 cooks knife
Sabatier nongent 150 slicer
Tojiro sha ra ku mono 210 flexi slicer

Thanks for your help,

Geoff

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What stropping compound to use?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Geoff,

If you stop at a 1K edge and then strop you won't ever have to worry about polishing out the teeth since the jump is so big the strop won't be able to abrade enough steel to get rid of the toothy edge you have.

Try just the boron carbide on a piece of balsa. That will refine the edge well. That's what I use all the time.

If you want a second strop you could get our horse butt strop and not put anything on it. That would be a good one for quick touch ups at work since there is no mess. Just leave it in the zip lock bag so when not in use so it doesn't get dirty or wet.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've been using an old diamond spray on a recent balsa strop I bought and I'm liking that edge. I've stopped at the Rika level and stropped and gotten really nice results. Can shave easily, but still has teeth.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:Hi Geoff,

If you stop at a 1K edge and then strop you won't ever have to worry about polishing out the teeth since the jump is so big the strop won't be able to abrade enough steel to get rid of the toothy edge you have.

Try just the boron carbide on a piece of balsa. That will refine the edge well. That's what I use all the time.

If you want a second strop you could get our horse butt strop and not put anything on it. That would be a good one for quick touch ups at work since there is no mess. Just leave it in the zip lock bag so when not in use so it doesn't get dirty or wet.

+1 - end of story!!

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]