It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help me choose a 3pc stone set.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

David - +1 on what you are about to purchase. That will be a great set and the stone holder/plate/strop set is great as well. It's probably more about having the stone holder and the flattening plate right now than the strop pieces. They are a great added bonus and less expensive because of the discount for the set. Mark is great about that with his various sets.

You might want to think about this ceramic "steel"/hone: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html.

It's a great addition for keeping your Wusthof and Chicago cutlery knives that you own in tip top shape. It's a great value at $30.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:29 pm 

Jason,
I was really hoping that you would join in.
Would you please share your thoughts on the Latte, Ume, Rika combo and also on possibly using a Rika after the Green Brick.
I know that the first combo is the kit you put together so I'm really interested in your feedback and opinions you might have of the other choices. Also, I've watched the videos and know how you feel about the snow white stone. I came away from that video quite impressed with it but is this stone overkill for me.
The green Brick gets a lot of positive feedback here and I was thinking of picking one up even if I chose the Latte, Ume, Rika combo.

Thank you,
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm 

All,
I would love to hear from someone that has used or owns both of these combinations. I've gone back and forth with this and have had all of these items in and out of my shopping cart over the past couple weeks. I'm guessing that I can't go wrong either way. Jason is a big fan of the Latte, Green Brick, Snow White setup and since he is a very highly respected shapener here his opinion carries quite a bit of weight. The problem is that I haven't heard from anyone else about this combination. I'm getting lots of positive feedback about the Latte, Ume, Rika combo. So I know this is a good setup as well. If you've used the Latte, Green Brick, Snow White combo please share your thoughts. If you've used both combos then even better. Please share.

Thank you,
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

David - not to take anything away from Jason (he sharpens more knives per week than many of us will sharpen in 10 years), but Shaun Fernandez (Knife Fanatic) is the one who put together the set and did the sharpening video.

Jason makes a good point on the Green Brick. If he says 400 to GB is OK, then it is so...

Some people use the Green Brick as their main stone and only use the 400 (or other coarse stone) to set bevels or clean up chips, etc. If you want a two stone setup Latte 400/Green Brick might keep you happy for many moons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:32 pm 

Thank you Steve. Sorry, my apologies to Shawn. I'm reading too many posts and got that mixed up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 pm 

It's not my kit, its Mr. Knifefanatic, I just use similar daily to sharpen all kinds of knives.

I don't have the latte 400 (yet) so I currently use the Naniwa chosera 400 in combo with the green brick. Once done with the green brick I will make a few passes on a 1 Micron strop and call it good, imo its more than sharp enough. Personally I see no need to go to a higher stone.

The Rika is just too close to the green brick and would be a wasted step. As a example of the green bricks polishing ability I usually jump from the green brick to the 10k imanishi when I feel like applying a really high polish.

I would probably say the Ume 1k and 400 latte are too close too, the Nubatama stones are extremely fast cutting stones so IMO if you wanted a Nubatama stone just get the set.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 pm 

I just ordered the Latte 400, Ume 1K, Rika 5K kit and the stone base with the flattenting plate & strops. I'm going to try this out for a little while. I suspect my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll end up ordering a Green Brick as well in the coming weeks. Mark has created a Latte, Ume, Rita kit and added a catagory called Sharpening Stone Kits to the web site. It's nice to be able to see them all in one place now. Thank you for doing that Mark and thank you to everyone for all of your help. I appreciate all of you taking time out of your day to help me out, all of your advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

My oh my, I finally got the time to sit and read, had a very busy past few days.

Thanks for clearing things up Jason, and I think you picked a great combo. That combo will get you pretty much anywhere you need to be with a kitchen knife and the flattening plate is essential for joyful sharpening IMO. I can't imagine life without one sometimes!

Just a bit about "my" combo: It was designed to give you good sharpness at any level on a wide array of steels, and take no more than 3 stones to do it. Most cheaper stainless knives won't take an edge any better than the green brick, but for better steel (aka mostly everything on the site now) the Snow White takes the Green brick's edge all the way up to 8 or 10k with ease. You can stop anywhere along the way, though, and keep more teeth on the edge, or just sharpen until it whittles hairs... your choice, it's a free country. ;) I simply love the snow white stone. :D

You will be very happy with the Rika though, it gets a kitchen knife as sharp as it almost ever needs to be, that's for sure.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm 

I'm really enjoying the stones and would still like to purchase the Snow White to take it further. The Ume and Latte are excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 am 

Wow, nice to see you are enjoying those stones. With the same advice that most here gave you, I just recently ordered the same stones. Can't wait to put them to use.

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next