It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ken Onion, Masamoto HC or Konosuke?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 am 
Forum Moderator

NickZac wrote:"...to be completely honest I think I will love virtually any of the items mentioned..."

Anyone is an awesome knife for sure... enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 am 

Well, I did things a little differently...

I ordered a 240mm Richmond Carbon Addict 52100...reviews were good, it had virtually all features you said to look for, and it cosmetically is something I cannot take my eyes off of...and at under $200, it seems like a good price for a first (truly) high-end knife.

I would have purchased a Richmond paring knife, but the one in the steel I like was out of stock...so I checked the other paring knives and wound up buying a Tojiro DP 3.5 inch Paring Knife...reviews were spectacular, I love how the blade is similar to a wharncliffe/insignio, plus it was half off MSRP. I'll compare that to my Global GS-38, which I like but theoretically the Tojiro is going to have much better edge retention and the ergos, plus the blade shape, seem like it will become my favorite (and only) paring knife.

Thank you all so much for the help! :) Now all I need to do is find a cutting board and something that can display the knives...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 am 
Forum Moderator

ZAC <> Congratulations on your acquisition. You got a best seller in a great carbon.

Please keep in touch with your experience as I am very curious to hear how you resonate with its profile as this is, by far, the tallest profile of any knife we discussed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:16 am 

Thanks! I will let you know, although a difference in height profile to me probably wont mean much, as I'm looking for all-around properties beyond anything else nor do I know exactly what to report on. Hopefully I'll get it, use it, and enjoy it...perhaps down the road add another after this gives me the chance to find out what I like v. would like differently...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:55 am 

Well, I got it a few days ago, plus a mid-level Teak cutting board until I can get a nicer custom one...I got it for a steal and it's 100% teak. My first thoughts were that the thing is massive and too big and its pattern looked significantly different than what the website shows. I gave it a go tho...I think I lucked out getting a taller + longer knife. I grow my own herbs and put them on everything...when mincing, I like to rock the blade back and forth. The higher profile, balde shape, and larger size makes this really easy to do so with, and this is major portion of the cutting I do. The Eastern handle seems to be very friendly toward this type of rocking. The knife came nice and sharp with a well-honed edge and I used it a few hours today when having some friends over for more serious work than when it's me cooking just for myself. It takes less effort to cut than my Wusthof and it held the razor hone through all usage...impressive. I ran it over a strop after usage and added some wood oil to the handle which made the wood color look much more vibrant. I'm no expert by any means and I do not have a lot compare it to, but it seems to be a really nice knife and I think I will adapt well to the 242mm blade. I also like how given it's been acid-etched that the design is completely unique, making it one-of-a-kind. I just wish they made a paring knife with this blade finish!

The paring knife is also really nice...my Global is going back to the store as the blade shape, blade steel, handle, and control of the Tojiro DP paring knife are all significantly better, and for almost half the cost. I'll be ordering from CKTG again as it has been a great experience. I'm currently debating on getting the Richmond 210mm M390.

The knife pictured on the website shows significantly greater coloration in the acid etching...I am guess that this is partly because it will develop over usage as the patina sets in? Also, I am guessing the edge is about 15 degrees per-side?

Thank you all so much for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:26 am 
Forum Moderator

NICK <> Image

Glad to hear you're happy with it. It always blows my mind when people like knives that tall, but they are a CKTG best-seller for a reason. Thank g-d we're all different. :P

Anyhow, regarding your handle: oil it regularly; just as you will your board. ;)

Regarding your blade, it is not acid-etched, that is a forced patina. http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/patina-pictures-t1910.html The pattern will "fade", as the lighter portions will darken as the natural patina develops. Pictures of knives on the web-site will vary as these are all hand done forced-patinas; patterns will vary from the applicator/method.

You said earlier you can sharpen on "bench-stones". Start practicing on your sharpening skills to keep these in shape, and get you ready for the M390... it will require that skill.

Bevel angle. Don't get caught up in OOTB bevels. When you start sharpening it, you will find what works for you. The fun is in the journey.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 am 

As a professional chef I have used a wide variety of knives (both my own and coworkers).

Misono(multiple lines)
Shun(multiple lines)
Tojiro
Hirimoto(my most recently retired knife)
Kikuichi
Konosuke(Current knife)
Moritaka
Many others...

I bought a konosuke hd2 240gyuto and will tell you that it is my favorite knife I've ever cut with. It takes a very sharp edge and holds it for a very long time. I have seen no problems with chipping and my edge is about 10 degrees on each side. It glides effortlessly through vegetables and proteins. It feels as light as a feather and, as I just found out yesterday, it is minimally reactive but will take a nice looking light grey patina.

Last point, I am a western to Japanese handle convert. And I will never go back to western handles. I don't know why but I feel much more connected to and in control of the knife with a Japanese handle.

I would recommend this knife highly. But if you can't part ways with the western handle the Hirimoto stainless-clad is a great choice. The aogami super steel can take a ridiculously steep edge and hold it so long, you will forget when the last time you sharpened it was. No problems with chipping and it sharpens unbelievably fast. The knife is a bit heavy and can feel a little clunky. But if you like a heavier knife then this is a perfect match.

Hope this helps

-dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:01 am 

Crap, I guess I was a little late on the post lol. My bad but that knife looks totally awesome :). Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:20 am 

Wow, that is a big bad knife..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:06 am 

Anyone know if it is possible to make the forced patina more visible? That's really my only complaint. I love what the knife on the website looks like and would prefer detail closer to that...

I am absolutely tickled with the edge retention. For sharpening I would prefer to use my SharpMaker or EdgePro Apex with a strop instead of a flat stone as I'm a good bit better with them than a stone, and I find the EdgePro best for sharpening steel over 60 HRC. Having now done a good bit of mincing by rocking, dicing, chopping, push cutting, and heavier chopping, I am really happy with the minimal edge deformation and the edge when amplified 20-30x shows only the most minimal signs of deformation...a strop is more than enough to re-align the angles.

Given the current angle suits me pretty well, what is the factory angle?

Page 4 of 5 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next