It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone have any experience with Kanenaga Razor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 am 

Title says it all. I am interested in giving a straight razor a go. Since I am really test driving as much as investing in a razor the low cost is a plus. Does anyone have any experience with the Kanenaga or know anything of their quality.

Thanks so much.

Post subject: Re: Anyone have any experience with Kanenaga Razor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 am 

If you are asking about the Kanenaga that's on CKtG, that is a kamisori or Japanese straight razor. They are more than a little tricky to shave with. I can't really recommend one as a first straight razor.

If you are just starting out, you would be served best by buying an inexpensive straight like a Dovo, and having it professionally honed. That way you'll have a reference point of what a razor should be like when you hone and strop it yourself. If you want to go the inexpensive route with a vintage straight, try the "sight unseen special" at Whipped Dog (http://whippeddog.com/)

I suggest that you go hang out at Straight Razor Place (http://straightrazorplace.com) or Badger & Blade (http://www.badgerandblade.com). Both sites have excellent "getting started" sections.

Good luck!

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Kamisori's aren't the easiest to learn to shave with, however I found them easier to hone when starting out. I honed the Kamisori's that are sold at CKTG and have 2 of them. they are a pleasure to hone and use, but for a starter I would suggest a "regular" straight razor.

"whipped dog" has a very cheap starter set that a lot of people suggest when starting with razors. I haven't tried it myself, but for the price it's hard to go wrong.

What stones and strops do you have to maintain the razor?

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:58 am 

Thanks for the insight.

Are there specific features that make it difficult to learn on, or is it just one of those things I would have to try to appreciate?

and Michiel: I have King 4k and 6k stones, a balsa strop with 1m diamond spray, and a piece of leather scrap I use for stropping.

Thanks again for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Razors are very different from knives when it comes to maintaining them. I'm afraid you'll need something in a higher grit range than 6k. It's feasible but hardly comfortable imo. Especially kamisori's benefit from a high grit finish.

I would look into a good 8k and if you can a 12-15k stone or a natural to finish on.

Razor honing is something that takes a good while to learn. It's not just about sharpness, it's about comfort as well. Combining both takes a while to learn. I've been honing for a year and a half now and only recently feel comfortable enough to charge people for honing their razor.

Have a look at B&B for the starting guide, but the most important thing in razor honing, for me, was using no pressure and focusing on getting an even bevel with no residual scratches at 2k. If you can, get a 60x or 100x loupe to help you with this.

Pictures of what a bevel should look like, imo, can be found on my blog.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]