It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Forced Patina on a Konosuke HD2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 pm 

I have a Konosuke HD2 gyuto and i have been trying to do a forced patina. I know that the knife is made from a stainless "blend." But the knife does take a natural sort of patina on its own (or maybe its just staining). I have put a thin layer of mustard on the knife and allowed it to sit for as long as 45 minutes. Am I missing something or does this metal not accept a forced patina?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Forced Patina on a Konosuke HD2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:59 am 

Well, it's semi-stainless, which translates to - we don't know what the hell it is, it's a secret. :)
But in all practicality, why would you want to force a patina on an HD2 konosuke, that doesn't want a patina?

But would rather be cleaned! Get a carbon, then you'll have no problems. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:14 am 

yeah i like the way it looks all stained. Gives it character lol. Was just hoping i could help it along in the process with the mustard. Which are the metals that translate into carbon steels that are reactive? is that the white 1 & 2?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:31 am 

Here's a basic run down.

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/ ... elp3.shtml

A quick google search will yield all sorts of results...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 am 

Chefdan6 wrote:yeah i like the way it looks all stained. Gives it character lol. Was just hoping i could help it along in the process with the mustard. Which are the metals that translate into carbon steels that are reactive? is that the white 1 & 2?

I had no problem forcing a mustard patina on my HD2. Like you, i was getting these uneven stains even though I wiped the knife down. 30 minutes of mustard and I was good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:49 am 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> The HD steel will accept a forced patina; that you want one is your business.

Try thickening dijon with mustard powder and coating the knife with it. If 30 minutes did nothing last time, do 150 this time; it won't rust or pit at that mark, but it should be dark as shiite. You will smell the chemical reactivity. Thoroughly rinse the crust off with water, then coat the blade w/baking soda & scrub it in w/ a daikon or potato nub (potato is a new suggestion I just heard due to present oxacylic acid).

I'd also suggest no longer wiping your knife totally dry during use. I mean wipe it clean, but if you want it to oxidize, give it every opportunity to do so with reactive foods & the water you rinse w/. Acidic foods are now your friend - as strange as that sounds.

Yes, Hitachi white, blue, & yellow steels are commonly used carbons in kitchen cutlery & are all reactive. There are many more carbons though such as 5160, W1, W2, 52100, 1084, 1095, 15n20, 01, 04, etc., etc., etc...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:28 pm 

"The HD steel will accept a forced patina; that you want one is your business."

Absoluteness! I was approaching Dan's question, from a "purely" objective standpoint.

I'm not very good at subjective reasoning anymore.

Hence: Stainless doesn't want to be stained. That's why it's called....stainless.

BUT, I've never owned one...so I wouldn't know! But I would think it's fair to assume that if he's having problems
patina'ing a semi-stainless knife, that's probably why!?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:02 pm 

I'm at work today. I've been trying all day to do this. Thickened mustard, thinned out mustard. I'm just totally baffled. every time I spray the knife off there is no patina. I guess it's time to give up lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

There is about 7% chromium in the steel so you will only get a little darkening if you're lucky. Get a full carbon steel knife that is reactive if you want to get a good patina on it. Otherwise it's an uphill battle.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 pm 

Thats some helpful information. So is it the amount of chromium in the steel that makes it more reactive or is it the amount of carbon, or a combination of both?

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next