It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: So many knives, so little time
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 pm 

"Unexpected expense" relates to Shakespeare's quote, "First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." That's on top of those expected expenses, called "overhead", like office rent, payroll taxes, back taxes thanks to...but I digress.

The Tanaka Sekiso Damascus knives have been a strong contender in my mind for quite some time, especially considering the price. Price and quality do not necessarily correlate in anything. In fact, some things cost a lot to make people think they're better. Some things are better, demand goes up, and price follows - I have read on this forum that Konosuke's prices have risen quite a bit in just a few years. The Sekisos look like a great value, especially after clicking the link just to the left and looking at the Ironwood series.

I love the idea of a mono steel carbon blade like the Fujiyamas (Blue or White) with a little heft to it, but $405 or so compared to $190 for Damascus clad Blue #2? For me, an admitted amateur and not, as my wife reminded me, a professional chef? I did watch the video of the Sekiso slicing so easily through an onion when my Wusthofs struggle a bit. Impressive...

The termination with extreme prejudice of the knife upgrade has softened a bit. The lower price of the Sekiso series will help, I'm sure. (Medicare actually paying me would help even more.) Now I have to educate her that they are Japanese kitchen knives and that chef's knives are just a type of knife. Maybe I will try to confuse her with the Gyuto, Yanagiba, etc. terminology.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 pm 

Tim --> you have to quit showing that knife before you MAKE ME SPEND A LOT MORE MONEY THAT I DON'T HAVE! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

JANANI <> Please excuse my ignorance of "Henry VI" ;)

FYI: The Ironwoods are, as you see, Yo-handled SG-2 PM steel, but CKTG will, in the near future, carry R-2 PM steel in a Wa-handled Tanaka.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:08 am 

Are these the same R-2 core Damascus blades on the Japanese Chef Knives site! They are priced more like the Ironwood series - and perpetually out of stock.

How does the 270 mm Tanaka Gyuto compare to the 240, which remains out of stock? I would rather get the knives from CKTG, even with the slightly higher prices. And stones, of course, but that's another topic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:49 am 

Takeda is a very tall Gyuto. Tried one the other day....was almost a cleaver with a point!
Nice but too tall for me (and i like tall knives!).

-As a side note, they also had some Takeda's that they had just received that were clad with stainless (custom order). ~!
Slightly heavier and not as pretty. They were a flat-black finish as opposed to his lighter, more interesting Kurouchi finish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:28 am 
Forum Moderator

JNANI <> If you're asking if the R-2 steel is the same R-2 steel as the Kobelco R-2 steel on the JCK website... yes.

If you're asking if Shigeki Tanaka is Hiroo Itou... no, I'm pretty sure they're different people.

Premium pricing is based on the premium PM steels.

"How does the 270 mm Tanaka Gyuto compare to the 240?" One is about 30mm longer on-the-edge & about 2mm taller.

FYI - RE; Tanaka R-2:
chefknivestogo wrote:...you spilled the beans on the Tanaka R2 Damascus wa-gyuto.... Shigeki is making these for me now, and they'll be ready late September.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, the Kono Fujiyama's are clad blades IIRC...if you look closely at the pics, you can see the difference in the core/cladding.

The Tanaka has a great feel to it heft wise, and it's just a cutting machine. The 270 should be a little longer and possibly a little taller, but I haven't seen a comparison or side by side pics of the two to know for sure. If you are OK with a 270 I would go for it!

Lengthwise, I have always been a 240mm guy. 210mm's feel short and I never tried a 270mm gyuto. I got a Richmond HD Ultimatum made by Konosuke and it's a 285mm blade. I tried using it and had no issues with the extra 45mm of blade length at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:15 pm 

If you're asking if Shigeki Tanaka is Hiroo Itou... no, I'm pretty sure they're different people.

The JCK site has some ironwood handled Damascus Gyutos with R2 cores (sold out, of course) by "Mr. Tanaka" on their specials page that look a lot like the Tanaka Ironwood series on CKTG, as well as a whole section on another page of R2 core Damascus knives by Mr. Itou. They say the manufacturer won't tell Mr. Itou the composition of R2, but the Knife Steel app says that Kobelco sells the R2 to Takefu, which in turn sells it as SG2. And I am probably way out of my league here... :?

As far as "the 270 mm is probably 30 mm longer and a little taller than the 240", well, duhhh... :roll: I wanted to know if anybody had used both the 240 and 270 Sekisos and if there was a vast difference other than one scaring the crap out of my wife even more by being "scarier looking". I would rather get my knives from CKTG instead of Japan, although the shipping is a lot less than from the place in Germany that actually sells HAP40 knives but charges almost as much for shipping as for a knife. It is nice to know that others have ordered from Metal Masters, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

JNANI <> I don't see how you're out of your league. I didn't see them over there, but if its Tanaka R-2 damascus, I can only imagine it's what you're going to see at CKTG with Wa-boots real soon...

I havent seen the Sekisos side-by-side, but they're the same series. They are going to be nearly identical in grind & profile except one is going to be about 30mm longer & about 2mm taller.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Same here, haven't seen them side by side, no pics either. From my 3 Sekiso's and a 210mm I saw that I did a new handle for, the 270 should be awesome performance wise! All of them had great grinds, and good profiles.

Some of us bugged Mark to get R2 Wa Tanaka's :) The Ironwood series is nice, but I look for a 240mm Wa gyuto normally, or a wa Nakiri :)

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2