It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting Better
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:12 pm 

I recently bought a used Konosuke white#2 300mm suji. It was pretty dull so I took it to the stones. I started out with the Shapton pro 320. After stetting the bevel and removing the burr I was amazed at how sharp the knife was at that point! I've never had a knife that sharp after the 320. I finished the blade on the green brick and was thrilled with the edge! It push cut phone book paper smooth as silk.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back(maybe a little ;)). I've been free handing less than a year and don't have close to the mad skills as the majority of those on this forum but I can see my skills improving, and it feels good! I have to thank everyone here that answer questions, helps with technique, make videos, and helps to keep all of us newbies straight and improving!

It was the enthusiasm of this forum that made me try free handing so thanks to everyone here. I'll never have a dull knife again!

Post subject: Re: Getting Better
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 pm 

Congratulations Jeff. It's a thrill to take a knife to the level you just did, it's a thrill and it's addictive.

You have every right to pat yourself on the back.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff B wrote:I recently bought a used Konosuke white#2 300mm suji. It was pretty dull so I took it to the stones. I started out with the Shapton pro 320. After stetting the bevel and removing the burr I was amazed at how sharp the knife was at that point! I've never had a knife that sharp after the 320. I finished the blade on the green brick and was thrilled with the edge! It push cut phone book paper smooth as silk.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back(maybe a little ;)). I've been free handing less than a year and don't have close to the mad skills as the majority of those on this forum but I can see my skills improving, and it feels good! I have to thank everyone here that answer questions, helps with technique, make videos, and helps to keep all of us newbies straight and improving!

It was the enthusiasm of this forum that made me try free handing so thanks to everyone here. I'll never have a dull knife again!Image

Keep at it - you will conquer!

:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff - Congrats dude! That's awesome. I'm still just a newbie at free hand sharpening. My problem is getting enough decent knives to practice my free hand skills. I haven't done an actual sharpening yet on my Masakage Yuki or Kono HD Funayuki. I have sharpened some of my other JKnives, but on the Edge Pro Apex, where I feel more confident.

I'll keep practicing on my friends and neighbors crappy knives until I feel better about holding a consistent angle and using consistent technique, etc. Looking forward to getting knives screamin' sharp free hand. I do have an Artifex 210 in 52100 carbon and a Tojiro ITK 150 petty that will probably be my first real test sharpening a nice knife/steel that isn't just stupid dull on the hand stones. I'm amazed at the knives people use for years with no edge whatsoever on them.

It's great to hear success stories to keep me motivated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys.

SteveG wrote:....I'm amazed at the knives people use for years with no edge whatsoever on them.
Amen. I was at my brother-in-laws house and grabbed a chef's knife to help him with some prep work and could not believe the edge, a butter knife would have been sharper! And he cooks a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:02 am 
Forum Moderator

JEFF <> Now you see the merit in the concept of stopping at 2K. A GOOD 2K edge is a versatile force to reckon with... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:45 pm 

Mel -->Your absolutely right and with each lesson learned and improvement I make, makes sharpening that much more enjoyable to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]