It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please help choose
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm 

I am looking to buy a knife and I was curious as to wether or not the Carbon 52100 Addict 240mm Gyuto with the paid sharpening service would be a sharper knife than the out of the box kasumi? Also, which would hold their edge for a longer time?

Thanks

Also, if the above options are not the best please feel free to recommend one better and state why. Price range is between $100-$300

Post subject: Re: Please help choose
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Absolutely without question it will be sharper than an OOTB Kasumi...well, wait....we're talking about these, yes?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kasumiknives.html

If so, then yes....see above. :)

And 52100 will keep an edge longer than VG10 in my experience, but it depends on what kind of edge said sharpener puts on it too.

A better knife in that range would really depend on what you're after in a knife.

Can you fill in some more blanks?

What other knives have you used?

What did you like/not like about them?

What draws you to these two knives?

etc, etc etc

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm 

Thank you Adam for the response. I have used the kasumi, shuns, wushtof, kitchen aid (I know but it was actually a really nice knife). I liked the feel of them all. I think that as I get more into sushi making I want something ludicrously sharp. I have my kitchen aid to the point of shaving with it and it still has trouble getting a clean cut through my rolls? Maybe its me? I am very new to knifes and I am not a professional chef, though I am friends with many (not that it means much). I want something kramer sharp that when I have something super delicate to cut I can use it and put it away...I guess not an everyday knife. As, I said I am VERY new and I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:39 pm 

Sorry, what draws me to them is my chef friend REALLY loves his kasumi. To me it is sharper, but no more comfy that my kitchen aid (again ACK I know). I love the look of the Carbon 52100 Addict 240mm Gyuto and I am guessing that it will have the potential to reach the sharpness I desire, with the longevity I need?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

My Richmond AS Laser and Tanaka Sekiso 240mm gyuto's take screaming sharp edges and hold them very well. What are you using as a sharpening progression? I finish on a J Natural stone or two, then strop on bare leather and I get a very sharp edge that still has some tooth to it and they cut very well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]