It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scratches in high grit stones
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:28 pm 

So I haven't sharpened in a while and my stones are completely dry which I didn't notice but apparently I sharpen often enough to where this doesn't happen. I notice that my higher grit stones, 3k and up, have scratches from the lapping plate, which I would imagine doesn't promote good sharpening. Should I use my lower grit stones to flatten with and then reflatten them with the lapping plate? It is only an XC dmt plate rather than an XXC, is this not a very big deal cause I am thinking why flatten if it puts decent scratches in my stones? What do you guys think or do in this situation? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Post subject: Re: Scratches in high grit stones
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm 

It will not effect sharpening hut will effect the feedback/feel you receive while sharpening.

A nagura stone or some fine wet/dry sandpaper will smooth out a high grit stone after lapping, FYI.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 pm 

Sounds good, I have a synthetic nagura that came with my choseras. Glad to get some advice from a member I respect, that seems to happen a lot on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 am 

Make sure you soak that nagura first, it needs it. Don't make a slurry with it either, its about 1k and will put a bit of that in a slurry which can mess up a high grit finish. (Things you may already know but worth saying)

With some stones the chosera nagura will put its own scratches in the surface but not nearly as deep as a DMT XXC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 pm 

Synthetic naguras are basically chalk, and are usually softer than the stones you're trying to lap. They usually won't do much in the way of actually taking scratch out, but will do something in terms of filling the scratches. Similarly, they get mud going by depositing nagura mud rather than raising stone mud. Neither of those things is horrible, because they're effective.

Nevertheless, rubbing two stones together works better for me.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ditto to BDL....I prefer to rub two stone's together to get out DMT plate scratches.

However, I don't do it all that often and just live with the scratches as they don't seem to affect the outcome much if at all.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:56 pm 

This is all great info and much of it is news to me. I tried the nagura stone and it worked great but I want to flatten my 1k and then use it to flatten my higher grit stones and reflatten it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 am 
Site Admin

I ignore the scratches. Scratches on the stones don't transfer to the edge.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 am 

+1 Mark's comment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:32 am 

Flatten with diamond. Don't worry about the scratches, and while you're not worrying about the scratches rub your stones together to generate some mud. Your sharpening will go much faster.

BDL

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]