It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moving on from my Wusthofs.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 am 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,
I've been thoroughly impressed with your website, selection, and information on Japanese steel. I am a full time chef in Denver and am interested in purchasing some new knives. I have been using Wusthof knives for over 12 years and would love to try some new steel. I have used some of the Moritakas gyoto and yanagi as well as the Tojiro shirojima nakiri. I have been really impressed with the weight and agility and consequently loved them all. I really like the Aogomi Super Steel and have been looking at the Moritaka AS Nakiri, the Takeda Nakiri and was really liking the Hiromoto 240 cm gyoto. I am right handed, and would love razor edges with better than average edge hold. I have a Norton triple stone, that I have always used to sharpen my knives. Any info you could provide would be great.
Thanks!
Brian

--
bjv

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Moving on from my Wusthofs.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Good email! Most people don't put enough information to give a good recommendation but you covered the bases quite well.

Ok, get a good gyuto first and foremost since you'll use the hell out of it. The Hiromoto is a good choice. I own one and I love the knife. It sharpens easily and I think you would love using that knife as your everyday knife. It's a little thick and the handle is boring but the core steel is great stuff and it will feel comfortable to you coming from a Wusthof.

For the nakiri the Moritaka is an excellent choice. Takeda's nakiri is a little thinner and a little better performer but it's also more money. Also I encourage you to take a look at the Masakage nakiris. I particularly like the Yuki. It's a bad ass little knife and I love the sand blast finish on the stainless cladding on this particular knife. Kanehiro Ginsan would be another really good Nakiri.

For your tri stone I think you would find a couple good Japanese water stones a revelation. They cut fast and produce hair popping edges with very little effort especially if you have a lot of experience sharpening your knives as you have. If you look in our best seller section you will see a couple put together sets that would work great for you.

If you want to stick to your set up just make sure you flatten your tri stone frequently. It will keep them from loading and dishing. Those old oil stones clog up kind of quick and once they do it makes them cut slowly and poorly. But that said you should still be able to get good results with them.

Good luck and please ask more questions if you have any here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I can't really do much but +1 Mark's post.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mark.....great info...now im really interested in that kanehiro 240 wa-gyotos! I'll be purchasing some soon....really excited.
Bjv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:14 pm 

Perhaps one of the metallurgists may chime in, but are you sure these oil stones can deal with the AS tungsten carbides?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kind of good question....I reckon they'd work, but quite slowly. Never tried though.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you like AS steel, check out the AS Laser series by Richmond! Way thinner than the Hiro behind the edge, really great performance.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]