It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Magentic Strip Knife Storage
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:27 pm 

I have a fairly large number of knives and store them on the side of cabinets using magnetic strips. I'm curious to receive recommendations on the best orientation direction to hang them.

Most of mine are hung vertically with blade up, handle down.

Some, the ones with carbon steel blade and wood handles, are hung vertically with handle up and blade down. ( hypothesize that any residual moisture will be mroe easily shed this way and won't runst the blade or rot the handle).

On TV I've noticed some people mounting their knives on magnetic strips in a horizontal orientation.

Any recommendtions... or comments on which is best orientation?

Post subject: Re: Magentic Strip Knife Storage
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:49 pm 

Carbon knives seem to stick really well to the magnetic strips, but my other non-carbons (Misono Ux10s) seem less secure. That said, it is probably safer if they are handle down in case one drops.... Something that worked well for me, however, is this: Wipe your knife rack with a bit of camelia oil. It will keep rust from forming where the knife touches the metal on the rack.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

I use magnetic racks too and I have them up around eye high and store them handle side down. It's just easier to reach them this way for me.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:58 pm 

has anyone made there own magnet racks?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:43 pm 

brekk81 wrote:has anyone made there own magnet racks?

Yes, I have. I use the extra strong neodymium magnets in cylinder form. 1" thick board is drilled from the rear deep enough for the magnet to just be below the surface of the face side. This allows the knife to be gripped by the magnet through the wood, but never touches any metal. I also make 2-sided ones, and installed with some spacers, lets you store twice the knives in the same space. Not an inexpensive item, as good magnets ain't cheap......................

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:23 pm 

I store mine the way Mark does for the simple reason that the house where the magnet is doesn't have hardly any counterspace for a block. And, absolutely no drawer space.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm 

I made one similar to Richinva, but got a local shop to route a 1/2 inch channel down the back to glue in the magnets and make a hidden mounting system. Next time I will make an upper and a lower channel for the magnets. Use the Neodymium for their ability to pull through the dense wood. http://WWW.magnets4less.com I used the 1/2 X 4 inch. I also use the 1/2 X 1/2 on my Edge Pro. Photos on that discussion. My knives never touch metal. Handles down.Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

That's a nice one. I like the finish on the wood.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm 

Thank you Mark. I just finished a handle from the same trunk of wood on my Yoshikane with the hammer finish to match this. I will post the step by step progress as you requested, however, I did not photo from the very start. In the next day or two.

By the way, this is the matching handle material I was going to give you if you weren't doing a Wa handle for your knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Some knives with that beautiful cocobolo you sent me are about to show up on the site. You'll be proud. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next