It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stones for my new knives.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,
My name is Erik Rasmussen. I just purchased the Goko 240mm gyuto and was wondering if you could suggest the best sharpening stone kit or individual stones that will best suit this particular knife. I have worked in professionally in kitchens for 10 years and this is my first japanese style gyuto. I received it this weekend and haven't used it in the kitchen that I just started in. I hope that it holds up well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Stones for my new knives.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have been loving the Nubatama Ume 1K Medium Speckled stone. Cuts quickly, smaller burr than the Bester 1200, nice feel to it. From there I usually jump to my Rika 5K and then strop on leather. Add in a Latte 400 for chip repair/thinning, and the Rika 5K or Nubatama 5K and a leather strop and you should be all set!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

The fact that you own a Goko 240 with White #1 in the core means that this might be the single easiest sharpening question of all time! The White #1 in that knife is the best sharpening stuff on the planet, meaning it will respond well to any sharpening stone you put it on.

So, the real question is: What sharpening equipment do you currently own, and how much are you willing to spend?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

ERIC <> TAZ nails it on the head, and if you just want a set that basically encompasses it, here you go... http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html. For a bit more, you can throw in a lapping plate to true your stones if you don't already http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshcoset.html.

You can piece it together as TAZ sketches out with some slightly different choices w/commensurate pricing, and as FANATIC says, what you already have is a HUGE factor in this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 am 

+1 for TAZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:43 am 

My stone of choice for finishing most all blades is a Naniwa 2k green brick.

It will apply one of the best cutting edges to basically any steel and does it very fast.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]