It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening Frustration...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm 

Fair enough...
On a separate note, I am growing increasingly frustrated with my knives not holding an edge, when they should be. Ive been cooking and using high end knives for a while. I have a konosuke, a takeda, a masamoto and a richmond laser aogami amongst others. I was using shapton pro stones and recently bought an edgepro with shapton glass stones. I figured this would solve my problems as I figured maybe I wasnt keeping my angle constant. I found that after little use, the stones are lapping and very difficult to push over the knife blade. It is not an effortless glide. Do these stones belly that quickly? I barely got thru a few knives before this started happening and now they seem almost ineffective.

Post subject: Re: Sharpening Frustration...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:54 am 

I cannot speak to the edge pro, but considering the narrow width of the stones compared to a bench stone, I would guess that they are more prone to dishing than the bigger bench stone; however, on a bench stone I end up using a diagonal pattern so the linear action of an edge pro may be different (someone help out here).

That said, the recommendation is that before/after every sharpening session you should flatten your stones. The Shapton stones (glass or pro) are hard stones, so they should require less flattening than softer stones, but you mention several knives with hard steel, so I wonder how many sharpening sessions you are having before flattening.

The second thing that comes to mind is what angle are you using? Are you creating a micro-bevel? There are plenty of experts here (I am a not one of them, although I have some experience and an opinion) and I am certain your answer lies in this forum but there are many variables involved in your dilemma and the more information you can provide will allow those experts the ability to solve your problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 am 

Two words: Ardennes Coticule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:22 am 
Forum Moderator

BadBoy wrote:I cannot speak to the edge pro, but considering the narrow width of the stones compared to a bench stone, I would guess that they are more prone to dishing than the bigger bench stone; however, on a bench stone I end up using a diagonal pattern so the linear action of an edge pro may be different (someone help out here).

That said, the recommendation is that before/after every sharpening session you should flatten your stones. The Shapton stones (glass or pro) are hard stones, so they should require less flattening than softer stones, but you mention several knives with hard steel, so I wonder how many sharpening sessions you are having before flattening.

The second thing that comes to mind is what angle are you using? Are you creating a micro-bevel? There are plenty of experts here (I am a not one of them, although I have some experience and an opinion) and I am certain your answer lies in this forum but there are many variables involved in your dilemma and the more information you can provide will allow those experts the ability to solve your problem.

+1

- Lapping
- Angle
- Micro bevel if extremely acute angle

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 am 

emalsky,

There could be several things going on.

Please let us know the following. It will help us help you.

- What stone / strop progression are you using?

- Are you using anything between sharpening like a steel?

- What are you cutting up?

- What is your cutting board made of?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Are your stones properly wet? It almost sounds like the stones are loading up and not cutting like they should, or they are dished a lot.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]