It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Murray Carter Neck Knives
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:57 am 

A Murray Carter neck knife is one of the most useful knives you can have, whether you are in the kitchen or preparing a shore lunch. CKTG has the lowest prices I’ve seen on Carter’s neck knives. These knives are laminated stainless steel with white steel core hardened to HRC 63-64. If you prefer a custom knife, Mark Richmond will help you get one. If you challenge Carter, he will exceed your expectations. I received a special package with two rare custom Murray Carter knives today. One is only the second neck knife Carter has ever forged with a kata-ha urasuki blade. The other is Carter’s first “White Crane” forged with a kata-ha urasuki blade. Both with desert ironwood handles and red liners. These knives are extremely difficult for even Carter to forge, but they can whittle thin air. To view Murray Carter’s knives at CKTG to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/murray-carter-knives.html

Here are some pictures my two new, but rare Murray Carter custom knives.

ImageImageImageImage

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

Post subject: Re: Murray Carter Neck Knives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 pm 

That kata-ha is amazing. Seriously, that's like a dream EDC.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 pm 

Is the backside really hollow, or is it just flat?

If it's hollow, that is a really good job, cause I can't even see the border.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:57 am 

The back is, in fact, concave, in traditional Japanese fashion. According to Carter, he threw away ten blades before he was able to do the first neck knife. Apparently, it is quite difficult to forge these blades in a small full tang like this. The WhiteCrane is breathtakingly sharp. Carter snapped these photos before he sharpened them, including uraoshi sharpening of the concave side. He said he plans to make some more in both neck knife and Whitecrane, which is great for anyone who can get one, but will make mine slightly less rare. But then again, mine is still Carter's first Whitecrane in this type of blade.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm 

Well congrats. That really is like a dream knife.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:12 pm 

Thanks. When I get some time, I'll snap some photos and post them. After uaroshi sharpening, you can see the concave sides better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

burkecutlery wrote: "Is the backside really hollow, or is it just flat?

If it's hollow, that is a really good job, cause I can't even see the border."

Come on, Eamon... you know the Master wouldn't disrespect the Yoshimoto legacy with a flat backed Kata-ha. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:44 pm 

It was more of a personal challenge for Carter than adherence to legacy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

WICKED <> As you & I both know, a Kata-ha forged in Japanese fashion has a concave back. I hadn't claimed his producing a kata-ha w/a concave back was in efforts to adhere to a legacy, I had said that I would never imagine he would sell a Kata-ha w/o a concave back as it would be disrespectful to the legacy. Thus, in fact, why he threw out 10.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:17 am 

I'm really enjoying the knives. Carter did a fantastic job!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next