It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: HD2 vs Aogami ~ Sharpness
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:33 am 

I want a Konosuke gyuto, but does HD2 really get as sharp as Aogami?

Sharpness is important to me..

Post subject: Re: HD2 vs Aogami ~ Sharpness
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:24 am 

If you know how to sharpen then all steels get very sharp. If the blade is of quality then the only issue with sharpness will be your sharpening ability.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 am 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> Interesting question as it is posed in the abstract. Aogami = blue steel. Blue steel comes in many elemental proportions. Nonetheless, even if you meant Blue Super it all comes down to sharpening skills. You bring a double bevel HD steel blade @Hrc 61 to an absolute 24 degrees included & a Aogami Super @Hrc65 to the same... is there a difference in "sharpness".?! I think not. And what is "sharpness," you may find a KonoHD @28 degrees included feels sharper than a thicker MoriAS @the same angle.?! Different geometries feel differently.

AS can be heat treated to higher hardness allowing more acute bevels w/o carbide fallout. Can a high Hrc Aogami Super be sharpened to more acute bevels than HD2 & not collapse... yes, but do you really want a 20-18 degree included angle double bevel on your kitchen knife.?! I W/O DOUBT OR QUESTION DON'T... in almost every application.

HD steel gets sharper than I ever need. I get my knives too sharp.

"Too sharp"... how dare I claim that to be.?! Look... as a host cooking at their home under the stress of a party for 15, as a Chef de partie blasting through pounds of product for a 300 head rush, as a Sous Chef catching flak from his Chef de cuisine who has a Butler or an Expediter or a Proprietor or a Guest or a Principal up his ass for an order or about a menu revision or about the cook(s) that no showed, or as the CHEF (de cuisine) with his job on the line with 150 VIP guests expecting nothing less than perfection over 5 courses... you are operating at a level in which the an ultimate edge that can "treetop" hanging hair is dangerous. Things are moving at a frenetic pace, and there can be "too sharp." The single largest thing that I miss about using soft steel is the ability of using my finger nail on my guide finger. On sharp JK's with thin spines that is not even the merest of possibility, and I do miss it. I find pleasure picking up my Wusthofs and crushing through product... just cause it requires such little focus. Are they sharp... of course, but the blade thickness & geometry is a totally different experience... much louder. ;)

Now, in the broad sense, HD steel @Hrc 61 sharpened to the same angle as AS @Hrc 65 is not going to have the same edge retention, but all of this is somewhat in the abstract as every blacksmith has a different heat treat which produces different characteristics. There is truly and honestly such a broad matrix to the question you pose that, in fact, it [said question] has as many variables as the moon's gravitational pull or the heat of the sun or the mood you are in.

Konosuke HD steel gets stupid sharp. It get's stupid sharp - stupid easy. It stays stupid sharp for a very respectable amount of time (that concept opens up the dynamic of fresh edges & working edges & dull edges), and its basically stainless.

Hitachi Blue Steels gets stupid sharp. Gets stupid sharp quite easily, and they stay stupid sharp depending on heat treat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

For all rights and reasons....yes, it will get as sharp.

Now, if you're a really fantastic knife sharpener....there might be some almost indistinguishable difference in level of sharpness attainable....but it's extremely small.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 am 

Thanks for the replies guys.

I like my knives very, very sharp (as i'm sure most of us do).
I'm in love with my Belgian stones (both BBW and Coticule), charged strops with both chromium and poly.

I have a big stiffy for Fujiyama's profile...and i hesitated on the last two blues that were in stock. :cry: :evil:
However, I've tried a couple Konosuke's at a local shop (Knifewear) and they were really nice. Light and thin, not too much flex.

HD - Fujiyama Blue - HD - Fujiyama Blue... Image
Can't decide...

I was hoping it would come down to which would be ultimately, wickedly sharper....but alas, of course, it's much more complicated than something that simple.
Feel...that of which i can't tell over the net.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:35 am 

A wise old man once told me, if you cant decide, get both 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Haha....some truth to that.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm 

The thought crossed my mind...for a moment. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 pm 

I would have bought the HD knife. Alot easier to maintain due to its semistainless abilities. But if you are used to use carbon knives that is not a problem for you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]