It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening my Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi so I recently received the Konosuke Fujiyama blue #2 funi gyuto, and I was wondering about sharpening this particular knife.
Do you sharpen the knife as you would a traditional Japanese knife? (Flat on blade road, minus the uraoshi part?) or would you sharpen this as you would a normal gyuto?
Also I would like to thank you for the great service, as the original order was the wrong knife (didn't realize 270mm wasn't the same profile), and the you fixed the order and reshipped the knife for me!
Thanks again, looking forward to purchase again in the future!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening my Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

You can sharpen the knife and extend the secondary bevel down to an edge but the knife should have a tiny micro bevel at the end and I would encourage you to copy the existing edge the first couple times you sharpen it. So sharpen it like a normal gyuto is my advice. It's faster and since it's meant for lots of use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

No, you do not sharpen like a traditional Japanese knife....this knife is not single beveled.

As you would a normal gyuto.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:06 pm 

I think I have the same knife. I haven't thinned this one yet, but I have thinned other, very similar knives.

If you care about the look of the knife, then I don't recommend laying the bevel on a flat stone and thinning... until you're willing to commit hours to flatten out the uneveness and get a nice consistent finish. It was a bit of a surprise the first time I tried to thin a wide bevel blade. The grind has high and low spots that were masked by the factory finish, but become very apparent when you attempt to thin at home. I've done around 10 knives now, and all of them have varying levels of unevenness, so I think it's just a function of how the knives are finished by hand on a big wheel.

So if I were short on time, I'd thin the knife (if needed) by raising the bevel up just a smidge from completely flat, and get to work on both sides, then working on the edge. If I had more time, I'd go ahead and flatten out the wide bevel, and maybe use some finger stones to smooth out the polish.

Of course, if a knife for you is just a tool and you dont care about how it looks, then disregard most of what I said =)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

JOHN DOE <> Listen to what Adam is saying, "you do not sharpen like a traditional Japanese knife....this knife is not single beveled.", and pay special attention to what Mark said, "You can...extend the secondary bevel down to an edge, but..."

Look closely and you will see those wide bevels don't reach to the edge of the edge.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]