It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gyuto 210mm (Hiromoto AS vs. Masamoto HC)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am 

Hello. New to the forums here. Been doing some research to add a "workhorse" of a 210 to the collection and am torn between the Hiromoto AS and Masamoto HC. Both seem to come with strong recommendations. I am a professional chef with a variety of knives already in my collection (Masahiro, Tojiro, Moritaka, Misono, Nenox) in both VG and Carbon so maintenance and care are not an issue. I've also read good things about the Kikuichi (TKC and carbon) and Togiharu VC as well.

Also Mark, I'm looking at a new Nakiri and have my eye on both the Richmond Hamon Blue #1 and the Konesuke HD2. I love the look of the Richmond but like the idea of a slightly larger Nakiri in the Konesuke (I currently have a Tojiro DP 165). I know either one will be a huge upgrade from the Tojiro.

Thanks for the great website and forums here. As well as a great inventory of knives for me to spend all my hard earned money on! They atleast bring me tangible happiness... Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Kyle

Post subject: Re: Gyuto 210mm (Hiromoto AS vs. Masamoto HC)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the compliment.

Hiromoto would be my choice. I love aogami super even though the knife is not perfect I think it's an excellent choice in that price range. I just sharpened mine 2 days ago and the knife is a pleasure to sharpen.

The Kono HD Nakiri is a great knife. Nice and thin and really performs well. My knife is thicker and is a true workhorse with good steel and great looks but I wish it were a little thinner. If you wanted to use it at work for long chopping sessions it should hold it's edge longer and you won't have to baby it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

The TKC is a better knife than either the Hiromoto AS or the Masamoto HC.....although with some time the AS becomes a darn fine knife. But, still, OOTB, the TKC is a hands down winner.

Can't say that I've ever seen the Togiharu for comment though.

I'm with you on the extra length in a nakiri....I MUCH prefer 180mm to 165mm and would recommend the Konosuke based on this criteria alone. Add to that it's an incredible knife and you have a winner. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have my horomoto and absolutely love it, sharpens pretty easy and cuts well and holds its edge well. The other I can't tell you anything about don't own one but the people on this forum won't let you down. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:10 am 

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Do we know if the TKC's are coming back in stock anytime soon?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:22 am 

I believe I heard they should be back in stock in about a month, if you can wait it will be worth it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]