It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Butch Harner Hankotsu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Butch is working on some Hankotsus for us. Take a look at what he came up with and let us know what you think. I'm particularly interested in what pros think about this.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Butch Harner Hankotsu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 pm 

looking at using 3/32 XHP for the steel and making it more less single bevel ( much ike the one shown that does not have the hollowed out back that i woudl normaly do )
if you want it ground 50/50 double bevel that can be done to all dependig on what you all want to see

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> I don't know how much my professional Chef status matters as I've never used a Hankotsu profile. Honesuki, yes; Hankotsu, no.

From a comparative standpoint, I really enjoy the exaggerated Tanto-tip as the precision it allows is quantifiable.

From an analytical perspective, Butch's concave handle design - beyond there being a distinct signature in his radius - promotes the secure grip that is sometimes compromised while butchering. I'm very much a fan of the rear swept bolster which again - beyond there being a distinct signature in its aesthetic - allows what I can imagine as a more curved filet knife feeling. An intangible that is really hard to articulate, but there is something very visible to me amid the handle/bolster/blade angle axis that screams curved filet/breaking knife sweeping functionality.

As for single or double bevel, I'd have to flip a coin. I reckon, these are going to be limited production so the ease in which double bevels will sell is moot. I think a double-bevel will offer a bit more user friendliness, but are these knives really intended to be friendly? I think not...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 am 

I've skipped on honesukis all these years for the simple fact that hankotsus allow for much more precision in dealing with poultry. The curved edge and the zero grind on the back just allow for more options than a honesuki can deliver in a fine dining setting.

My only concern would be the handle for (some) users. In a low volume or fine dining kitchen, a traditional Japanese grip (index finger along the spine) is most common and the handle in the sketch would accommodate that just fine. However, in processing larger animals where a western butchers grip (think ice pick) is used, I can see the downward curved handle being more of a hindrance as it would put your hand and blade in a less conventional position.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying it isn't employable, just might take some getting used to for certain butchering tasks.

My $0.02.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 am 

I really like this idea, I use a Misono hankotsu as my main boning knife and I find the only thing that hinders me would be that it is single bevel.
I would go for the double bevel. when doing chicken breast, the right side is easy, then its either turn the chicken opposite way, or use the knife incorrectly to take off the left breast. I think a double bevel would have so much more use to it, and easier to maintain. when im at work and I need a quick sharpen, I cant use my ceramic rod because of the single bevel all I can do is strop. But when your cleaning down a case of chicken and you need a touch up on your edge, you have to stop clean your knife before you strop, if it was double bevel you could just use your ceramic rod, then clean everything after.

I like the handle idea to, more grip

I'm in for one of these, as long as I can request double bevel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:26 am 

i have a lefty misono hankotsu swedish steel. they work pretty well. the edge is pretty tough and long lasting. they're better breaking down beef or pork than chickens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:42 am 
Site Admin

Butch I like your handle idea and your general shape. Let's go with a two sided knife. I'm always interested in giving lefties a shot at stuff.

What kind of handle scales do you have? I think I have some nice ironwood ones kicking around if you need some. Only 1 pair.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 am 

not sure what i have on hand in the proper size right now but i do know i need ot pick up more cocobolo and maybe a fe other boards

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Butch,

Let's go ahead with 3-4 of these.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:20 pm 

sounds good i ll be at the beach all next week and then workingon some razors but i will be sawing out and predpping for HT your order and some other stuff(hope to cut down ever inch of the XHP i hav ein the shop and get it all HTed with this LN fill to make the most of it )

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next