It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: What stone after the Suehiro Rika?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the extremely useful advice and based on that i went with the suehiro rika and really like it a lot, it has been wonderful. So next question would be on the next step up I was wondering what you may recommend? I have read good things from the owners of this stone and some like the kitayama 8000 for the next step up which gets great reviews as well as a stepping stone between 5000 and 10,000 or as a finishing/stropping stone as is.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: What stone after the Suehiro Rika?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Also a Snow White is a good jump or the 8 and 10k nubatamas. Peace, jmbullman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

JOHN DOE <> What are you sharpening, and what are you processing?

The Kitayama elicits some interesting opinions; lotta love it or hate it. I'm in the former's camp. Some say it has a 8k-12k range depending on where you are in the stone. I find the mud refines really well so maybe the aforementioned opinion is based upon refined mud. Whatever the case may be; I enjoy the stone, and find it a great value.

The Snow White, Bullman, mentions is going to offer you a higher mirror polish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

There are a several stones in the 8-10K range that are interesting.

The Kitayama is a good stone but it's soft so I recommend you strop on this stone only (i.e. use edge trailing strokes).

I prefer the Naniwa Super 10k to the Kitayama. It's another softy so again I like to strop on this one.

The Snow White is a good polisher that gives a really nice finish as well.

The Chosera 10 is the stone I've used the most and it's a sweet stone but expensive. A little harder than the others.

The Imanishi 10K is gives a great finish and it's less money than most of them. I've used this stone a bunch as well.

I've never tried the Nubatama 10K but I'll get to it. Looks nice and there is a good video on the item page if you want to see it in action.

The Shapton Glass stone 10K is the hardest of the group and I like it quite a bit. It's on the pricey side. It cuts well and you can push against this stone. It's also splash and go.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've actually heard enough reports that the Kitayama should be used after a 10k stone that I'm starting to believe it.

I love and use the Naniwa 10k SS, but as Mark said it's very soft. Takes some care to use with a push/pull....otherwise just strop with it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 pm 

Love the edges I am getting off my new Imanishi 10k. Haven't tried the others to say better or worse, but it is relatively inexpensive, leaves a crisp mirrored finish, and has gotten me my first hanging hair test successes, so I am very happy with it. Recommended highly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:28 am 

I have and love my Kitayama and when I got it from Mark I only stropped. I have enough control now that I use it just like any other stone, edge leading and trailing. It is an awesome and fast polisher and I can highly recommend it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]