It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Line cook wants 210mm wa gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

Thanks a lot. I'm looking for a 210 gyuto too. I'm working in a pretty busy kitchen so I was thinking something stainless. The konosuke hh looks really nice. Can you point me in the right direction? I really like the takedas too but I don't know if I have the self discipline to take of it during service...

Thanks a lot,

Nick

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Line cook wants 210mm wa gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that's a good choice. Another good one would be the Kanehiro Ginsan. It's a little more of a workhorse knife that might be well suited to line work. It's made with silver 3 steel aka Ginsan steel and it holds an edge really well. Little more rustic than the Konosuke but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They do a cool sand blast finish that's aesthetically very pleasing to me personally: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawa21.html

Nice grinds on the knife too. The blacksmith knows his shit.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Fujiwara's are a great knife too....stainless clad carbon:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa21gyocha.html

Quite a bit more spendy though.

The Richmond Laser is a good knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila21.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm 

Why not Richmond line aeb-l or m390 in 210 mm . Good steel good price. I know working on the line things happen a lot as in floor dropping, hitting pans. I feel like these would be a good knife so god forbid if something does happen to it you won't be in the hole for 300+ bucks which is half a paycheck for most cooks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:22 am 
Forum Moderator

The Richmond Artifex series is designed as an entry level line knife. The edges are a little thicker than some other Japanese knives, so they may be a bit more durable. M390 can be harder to sharpen, but it will hold it's edge much longer than many other steels, so it's a trade off. As you get used to the Artifex, you can thin the area behind the edge and see how the performance changes. The Artifex really shine when thinned out (same with the Addict2), but it does cut decently well even with the thicker edge. The AEB-L Artifex work very well and the steel is great in them, and it easier to sharpen/thin/remove chips, etc than the M390, so I would get the Artifex 210 and some sharpening stones? This will get you into the game a little more, learn to sharpen and care for these knives and you can thin it to extract the most performance out of it when you want to.

The other knives recommended are awesome and incredible performers out of the box, but are more expensive. It depends if you want to jump in with a higher end gyuto or start with the entry level for more durability and move up from there as you learn what you want out of the knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 am 
Forum Moderator

NICK <> Everyone raises pertinent points. The HH is an awesome knife, but a laser - any laser @Hrc61 MIGHT be a bit more delicate a tool than you're looking for. The G3Kanehiros are thicker, heavier & stiffer - more of a workhorse, but still phenomenal performers. The Teruyasu I think is over budget, & again I don't know you want such hard steel... only you know what treatment the knife will potentially be subject to.

TAZ's post is a good read for you to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:35 pm 

Thank you so much for the input guys. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go yet but this all really helpful advice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:53 am 
Forum Moderator

NICK <> Don't hesitate to pick back up with a new line of questioning...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]