It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Meara and Yaginoshima Asagi review!
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got a Meara and Yaginoshima Asagi stone from Ken yesterday. The Meara is a huge stone, like 6x4x1.5" thick, lots of surface area to use! I used it on a Hiromoto AS, Yamashin White #1 and a VG-10 Tojiro DP. All were in need some some sharpening and the Meara worked really nicely. It gave that nice "sticky sharp" feeling like a razor blade and cut well. Great touch up stone if you want 1 stone to do touch up's with! From there, I went to the Yaginoshima Asagi. It really refined the edge very nicely and has a nice clean edge with a little bite left. I saw the Yaginoshima was pretty muddy, so I took out my Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke and gave it a try on the blade road. It was at a Synthetic Blue Aoto Kasumi finish with Patina and it polished up very nicely!!! Great contrast between the two steels; core steel is bright and shiny and the cladding steel is more of a matte finish, but really nice and smooth feeling. As I looked closer at the cladding, I noticed that I could see layers in the cladding!!! I am going to work more on polishing the bevel and see if I can get some pics of it; I have a light tent due in on Tues and 3 days off to figure out how to use it!

Really like both stones. Meara is a great touch up stone and can be used as is. The Yaginoshima works well to refine the edge and also brings out a beautiful Kasumi finish as well and leaves a very nice edge! Love both of these stones and I am looking forward to using them more!!

Post subject: Re: Meara and Yaginoshima Asagi review!
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yep, the Yaginoshima Asagi is one of my favorite JNats.

Now you need to try the Ozuku Asagi as a finisher.......nearly as hard as my b*lls....

:)

:)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:40 am 
Forum Moderator

If you like the Ozuku, you'd LOVE the Nakayama Asagi :) Usually a bit harder and a bit finer too. Not nearly as muddy, so many like it and the Ozuku more for razors, but for 'precise sharpeners' both give a super nice edge. These aren't a first choice for large bevels - single bevels or larger double bevels like you see with say a Moritaka or Takeda. Here the Yaginoshima excells and the Hakka works quite nicely afterwards as a muddy but fine stone.

Tim - an EXCELLENT review. Really pleased you are 'getting' these stone's advantages. Color me impressed! Thanks! On the next mailout, I'll be sending you a Yaginoshima Asagi tomonagura - works nicely on BOTH stones :)

I agree completely - the Meara is a superb touchup stone giving that nice combination of toothiness and refinement so appropriate for so many tasks. This stone is one I will be putting on the EP in the near future. Might even consider it in 10 mm thickness :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I have an Ozuka Asagi, Takashima's, Shobu, etc, plus other more coarse stones (Amakusa, San Aoto 3-5K) and some very coarse ones that the name escapes me now. The J nats are pretty fun to play with! I also got one of the very hard 12K Chinese Natural Stones from WoodCraft, interesting stone as well! I've been looking for a finisher for the clad knives I have and the Yaginoshima is awesome for that!!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:54 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm online with Rook & Tim; I adore my Yaginoshima, and it has pretty much assumed the position as my finishing stone in the majority of applications. Really, a surprisingly practical edge, and the tomonagura makes the experience a much more fun one, quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I used my meara and yagonoshima asagi on my k2 fujiwara kanafusa and it glides through rare roast beef like butter. I have the ozuka asagi also and am wondering if that will be overkill or not. Advice is welcomed. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Ozuka Asagi may give a little more polished edge, but I like the bite off of the Meara/Yaginoshima combo a little bit more for an all around knife.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

taz575 wrote:The Ozuka Asagi may give a little more polished edge, but I like the bite off of the Meara/Yaginoshima combo a little bit more for an all around knife.

You are probably rite, I like a little bite when I cut if not it just doesn't feel rite while cutting . Peace jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]