It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is the difference between Konsuke Lines?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I shopping for a new 240 / 270 gyutou to add to my collection.

Heard good things about Konosuke's, can you share you thoughts on the difference between the 3 lines Ginsan vs. HD2 vs. Fujiyama.

Separately, do you expect to have any more ZDP-189s in the future? Thanks

regards
Franz

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What is the difference between Konsuke Lines?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Franz,

This is a really good question.

So, Konosuke is basically a contractor. The blacksmiths and sharpeners and handle makers are sub contractors. Most knives you buy from the Sakai region are done this way. So, Takayuki for instance and Suisin and Ashi Hamono are all organized this way.

For Konosuke they use several different blacksmiths and several different sharpeners and a couple different handle and saya makers. This gives them the ability to make a wide variety of knives.

The Fujiyama brand is one particular blacksmith and grinder. This guy is hammering out knives from bar stock as you have most likely seen on videos. He does great work and uses several steels. They hide the name of the smith and sharpener for proprietary reasons.

The Ginsan knife line is a different guy. He's a great smith as well. He uses a sharpener that works in his shop so they are unique and different from the Fujiyamas.

The "laser" lines you see on the site which include the White #2, HH, HD and ZDP189 lines are all a third blacksmith and grinder. These are all made a little differently and are not clad. I'm pretty sure they're laser cutting their blades instead of hammering them out but I'm not positive.

Once the knife is done they are brought to Konosuke's office where the handles are installed and the knives are engraved. Then they are inspected, oiled, boxed and shipped to us.

We have about 650 knives on order right now and we get about 20 knives a week sent to us. I never know what's coming until they ship and I never bug them about it. The ZDP knives are on order and they have been for about 7 months. At some point they will show.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Mark-

Does the blacksmith that makes the Fujiyama series Konosuke only work in white, white 2, and blue? Does he work at all in ginsanko?

Also, one of my cooks who is starting to get interested in his job asked me about a small deba to break down poultry. My boss uses a 155-160mm Tsukiji Masamoto and that is what he has been letting him use and now he wants a knife of his own. However, he doesn't have much money and it is his first real knife, so I was thinking the Tojiro stainless 155mm Deba would be a good fit for him. Do you agree, or suggest something else? Thanks.

--
Justin

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Fujiyama guy specializes in Hitachi carbon steels and he doesn't work with Ginsan steel usually. I'm sure he can do it of course but it's best when they are heat treating by experience to stick with the steels the smiths like to use everyday.

The Tojiro 155 is kind of a toy. The carbon steel one is better http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tosh16de.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:52 pm 

I've used a Konosuke HD gyuto and petty and a Kono white #2 suji and they are all fantastic knives. Excellent fit and finish, easy to sharpen and they are not delicate knives like other lasers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the Tojiro 155mm Deba and it's pretty thin at the spine. I use it for trout and smaller fish, but it's not the same thickness as a normal Deba or even a Mioroshi Deba. If he wants to break down poultry, get the Artifex Honesuki.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]