It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: High dollar knife - what would you get
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:21 pm 

I would find it hard to part with my Konosuke HD 240 funayuki-gyuto. It is an outstanding knife. It's not going to impress friends and neighbors the way a fancy finish on a blade or custom handle will, but it gets the job done in a way that it feels like an extension of your thought, not a knife in your hand.

I'm pretty much in the camp that says buy two killer knives in the Konosuke class (I can't comment on Takeda, since I don't own one)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:55 pm 

I am not buying these to knives to impress anyone besides myself. My friends, family, and neighbors could never respect knives like I do even if they thought it looked cool or nice. In fact I would be willing to bet they would think any knife with a kurouchi finish and a wood handle would be a cheap piece of crap and that is why this knife will stay far away from them. I am willing to spend up to $700 if I feel it is worth it and althose Konosukes look so amazing but the I have always heard you have to own a Takeda but I have heard even more often that you have to own a Konosuke.

I need more advice on a petty and for someone that owns a takeda to jump in here, also I feel i would never use a suji. Otherwise keep the good advice flowing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jwesly - A Masakage Yuki or Shimo petty would be an awesome knife. The Yuki is stainless over carbon core san-mai construction. The Shimo is carbon mono steel. Shimo slightly thinner and a little better performer but is all carbon. There are some videos on the Masakage petty knives on the product pages. If you process a lot of citrus or other acidic foods with your petty, the Yuki might be a better choice.

I have the same Kono 240 Funi/Gyuto as Jeff and it is AWESOME!! It doesn't visually shout "here I am!", like some other knives - it just looks like it means business, but you will shout when you use it! :-)

Enjoy whichever knife/knives you end up purchasing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 pm 

SteveG wrote:Jwesly - A Masakage Yuki or Shimo petty would be an awesome knife. The Yuki is stainless over carbon core san-mai construction. The Shimo is carbon mono steel. Shimo slightly thinner and a little better performer but is all carbon. There are some videos on the Masakage petty knives on the product pages. If you process a lot of citrus or other acidic foods with your petty, the Yuki might be a better choice.

I have the same Kono 240 Funi/Gyuto as Jeff and it is AWESOME!! It doesn't visually shout "here I am!", like some other knives - it just looks like it means business, but you will shout when you use it! :-)

Enjoy whichever knife/knives you end up purchasing!

Well Steve I will tell you that the Masakage pettys really peak my interest, but I have one question besides DOES ANYONE own a Takeda and that is what is the difference between a gyuto and a funayuki; it appears to be just the shape in being that the funi has less curve and I like the handle better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm 

As far as I can tell, the differences are that the funayuki-style gyuto has less curve to the belly, so it has a longer "straight" sweet spot. As a consequence, the tip is a little closer to the line of the edge at the heel than the center line of the blade or handle. Additionally, the tip of the funayuki-style gyuto is more acute, pointier, by having the downward turn of the spine happen sooner than on a more typical gyuto.

One slight downside to the funayuki-style gyuto I have found is that I don't seem to get as much clearance above the board rock-cutting/chopping as I would with a knife with more belly to it.

bubbacaster thankfully posted this in looking-for-another-funayuki-t2004-10.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Other people can articulate the differences better than me. If you search Melampus' posts and also search on Funayuki in general you'll find some discussions on this exact topic. Melampus, as usual, had a great description of just what the Kono Funi is all about vs their standard Gyuto profile.

For me, it boils down to the slimmer tip area on the Funayuki profile for detail work.

Edit - I waited to hit "Submit" on this, so Jeff already posted a great answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Masakage knives certainly should be considered. They perform outstandingly good. Konosuke is certainly a great choice any day of the year, but rest assured, anything from the Yuki and Shimo series will rock your socks as well. ;)

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masakageknives.html

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 am 

So knife fanatic are you saying you like the Masakage better than the Konosuke hd line. Either way I will more than likely be buying both. Again though, DOES ANYONE OWN A Takeda!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 am 
Forum Moderator

Not saying Masakage is better, just different, but perform just as good, or at least very close. Basically I'm saying that you can choose either Konosuke or Masakage and be extremely happy.

I've used a few Takeda's before, and they are excellent knives. I think if that type of finish and shape is calling you then maybe you should scratch that itch. I'm pretty sure that Masakage and Konosuke are going to slightly outperform the Takeda, but not by much, and also the Takeda is, on average, going to be a taller blade than the rest... although I don't think any of the knives you are about to choose are short. The Takeda and the Masakage will be the stiffest blades, having pretty much zero flex, and a Konosuke will only have a small amount of flex.

The Takeda, having Aogami Super steel, has the most carbon content, and arguably the "better" steel of the bunch, and is a little more robust overall. The Konosuke has the most "user-friendly" steel of the bunch, and the Masakage has White #2 that is forged excellent..... honestly, all 3 knives are excellent as far as steel goes... you should probably make your decision based on profile and aesthetics at this point. Any other concerns that I can help you with? I'm hoping another Takeda user will chime in. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would encourage you to mix it up with these two knives that you will purchase. Make one a clad blade (Masakage/Takeda) and make the other one a mono steel blade (Konosuke HD). That way you'll experience two different types of blade construction and feel.

IMO, decide primarily on your Gyuto choice for clad or mono steel/profile/aesthetics, then make your petty the other type. The difference between clad vs. mono steel feel is much more apparent in a larger size blade like a Gyuto. All of these knives will cut like a son-of-a-gun and totally "rock-it" ITK.

Page 2 of 4 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next