It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiyoshi Kato Knives
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:02 pm 

Is this new knife on the site the same one getting the hype elsewhere? Either way, what is the steel and how hard?

Post subject: Re: Kiyoshi Kato Knives
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

They're getting handled right now. I'll add more to the item info pages once they're ready to go. And yes they're the same knives with our handles.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

I think we're getting handles on these tomorrow guys. Isaiah usually brings stuff in on Friday and these are on deck.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:39 pm 

Mark,
Just saw the FB post with pics. The knife looks gorgeous. I do have a question concerning your statement above about it being the same knife as being hyped elsewhere. If we are talking about the same "elsewhere", based on what I've read over there, I didn't see any mention of the steel being White #2, which I believe is what you had in the preliminary notes on your regular site. I don't recall seeing mention of what type of steel it was exactly.
Also, my understanding is the knives being sold / passed around over there had a customized geometry / shape made to that reseller's specifications.
Can you offer some clarity for me/us please regarding the specific knives you have for sale? The reviews that I've seen have been nothing short of spectacular and want to make sure they are applicable?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Brad,

The copy on the page is accurate as far as I know. I'll know a lot more about his process when I'm in his shop next spring. As for the knives on my site they're good. I can't comment on others nor do I really want to. Josh (my employee) and I were feeling the 210 gyuto up and down examining the grinds on it today. Very consistent and reminds me of a few old Carters I've had over the years in terms of grinds. I don't know about the forging yet since I haven't used the knife at home. I shaved some arm hair and sliced some paper but that was it. The edge is fantastic on the knife. Isaiah thought it was one of the sharper double bevel knives he's handled and I concur. That, of course, is a temporary thing.

Isaiah did these really nice spacers on these. I don't know how he's doing these little checker board type patterns but they make the knife really stand out. I love this group. It's all I can do not to steal that 240 gyuto. BTW the Nakiri is sold. The other 2 are still available. 3 More are on deck to arrive soon.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 am 

Any 270mm gyutos??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Nope but if you want to special order one email me and I'll set it up. You will need to pay up front and we should be able to deliver in a few months.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

The 5 we put on the site are gone now and I just added the last one from my first order.

Also, I put in another larger order that includes an expensive damsascus gyuto and a nice kasumi finish deba with reorders on the other items that we got on the first order.

Hopefully I'll be able to visit Mr. Kato at his workshop in the spring on my second trip to Japan. I have so many blacksmiths, stone dealers and distributors to hit that I won't be able to visit them all. I think just hitting Takefu will take me several days since we're dealing with 6 different blacksmiths in just this one area.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Only 1 left of the original 6 we received. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kikakn.html

Most of them sold to some of my collector customers which makes sense since they're pricey.

More are coming including a damascus one that I ordered.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]