It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hokiyama gyuto Damascus
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

I am the guy that just bought this knife from the classifieds. Great transaction and the knife was exactly as described!

I purchased this 210mm knife as a gift for a home cook with little knife skills. She has two Shun knives that are both considerably shorter than this Gyuto so I wanted to get her something that she could grow into. That is also why it had to be stainless.

Anyway what surprised me is the weight of this knife compared to my much longer 250mm Moritaka and other knives I have. So first is this typical for a san-mai constructed knife? I thought san-mai is just describing the layered construction of the knife and that my Moritaka's are built the same way. Therefore is it just a characteristic of this particular knife?

Now onto why I put this post in the sharpening section. . .

I have a strong list of stones ranging including both natural and synthetic, so from a stone perspective, consider your suggestions covered. This knife is also thick behind the edge and I really want to thin it. I am concerned to two things: First, will it take hours for the first stone (even if I use my Atoma 140 or my Nubatama 150)? Second, is there a process (after polishing) to bring out the damascus pattern (especially it if gets messed up on the face or the blade)?

By the way, the previous owner left a really nice and sharp edge on the knife, but it appears to be the factory bevel.

Post subject: Re: Hokiyama gyuto Damascus
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

BB <> 1) It's not going to take hours to thin on a 140/150. 2) I don't know how much of the blade you were considering thinning - therefore the scuffing damascus concern, but I would recommend "sharpening" at an extremely acute angle, say 5 to 7 degrees, so you don't really come up too far on the blade face, and then come back to set your final bevel wherever you do. Specifically regarding the "polishing", different stones are going to give you different finishes and contrasts in steels. If you have a high grit Jnat, it will most probably offer the highest contrast. If you use something like a Shapton glass, you'll most likely end up with a more uniform polish. You could also polish with low micron diamond spray as another method.

Regarding weight: you never say what your observation is about it. Is it lighter or heavier?

Either way, yes, San-Mai describes a type of sandwich cladding. Moritakas use an iron cladding, and are are overall pretty light knives. Your Hokiyama, I can't remember, but I think is SKD11 hagane with a SS jigane. Different steels, differing thicknesses, and different handle size/types are going to alter overall weight.

Post subject: Re: Hokiyama gyuto Damascus
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 am 

Thanks for the reply . . . it is heavier than expected.

OK, so I understand the thinning strategy and will give it a shot.

My question about the damascas finish was based on reading some comments about some sort of etching that brought out the damascas finish. I basically want to thin the knife and then make sure that it looks brand new, so besides polishing with stones and sprays (i have as fine as 0.1 micron on kangaroo), is there some sort of other process to bring out the damascas pattern?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]