It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Time to thin. Are more stones better? Hmmmmmm.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 am 

Hi Guys,

When I thin behind the edge, I lay the secondary bevel down and grind until the primary bevel is little more than a few hairs wide.

In the past, I would use a 140, 150, 400, 800, 1K, 3k, 4K, 5K, 6K progression.

Tonight, just for grins, I just went with the Ume 1K, a pretty fast cutter, and didn't bother with any of the lower grit stones.

I am not 100% certain, but it sure felt like it was faster then working up the lower grit chain.

The reason for this is that when I work up the lower grit chain, it takes me quite a while to get ALL the scratches of the low grit stones out. Inevitably I'll leave a few and have to go back to get them chewing up time.

If I had to remove a ton of metal I can see the lower grits being worthwhile, but with the new generation of fast cutting 1K stones, tonights session has me seriously questioning where exactly that break point lies.

Always learning something :)

Post subject: Re: Time to thin. Are more stones better? Hmmmmmm.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Pure physics - lower grit - deeper scratches - more time / higher grit shallower scratch pattern - less time......

....the break point is an undefined median relative to departure point vs final result.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:31 am 

Steel type and hardness would play a factor in that "happy medium" point too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 pm 

Ideally, you're looking for the fewest number of strokes to get you to the best possible finished edge. A lot of things come into play, including the relationship with the particular blade alloy with the particular stone. Some stones just aren't very good with some alloys.

If you need to move so much metal that you're looking at a first stone faster than the new generation of fast 400s and 500s, you're probably still looking at a 400 or 500 as a bridge between profiling and sharpening (~1K).

BDL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am 

the break point is an undefined median relative to departure point vs final result.

Rook, I'm going to spend a while to figure out what that means and then I'm going to use it in another forum somewhere to make myself sound intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Normal thinning I typically use a 1,000 grit stone. I only break out the 500 for real intense thinning.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:21 pm 

I don't know how anyone keeps there sanity profiling or thinning on a 1k stone. Even a 400-500 grit stone is on the high end of coarse and I find that to be painfully slow when needing to profile or remove damage.

The chosera 400 being a perfect example of this. It is their coarsest stone in the chosera line and while a decent cutting 400 stone I would hate life if it was all I had for setting bevels.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sailor wrote:
the break point is an undefined median relative to departure point vs final result.

Rook, I'm going to spend a while to figure out what that means and then I'm going to use it in another forum somewhere to make myself sound intelligent.

hehe...yeah I confused the hell outta me myself.....

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nah, not profiling Jason.....just that routine thinning behind the edge (the shoulder) I do every third or fourth time I sharpen a knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:43 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm with Jason on this. After using something like the 150 bamboo, using a 400 or 500 stone for the heavy lifting is just not a first choice. Depending on the steel, I would jump from the 150 to the 1k and not have too much of a time getting the scratches out. Again, depending on the steel and angle change when reprofiling, you might skip the Atoma 140 and jump from the 150 to the 1k. If you find you are missing coarse scratches just put some extra time in on each stone to be sure you don't have to back up.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next