It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Murray Carter- Whats the deal?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:20 am 

I've noticed that Murray Carter is, apparently, a subject of debate with regards to sharpening and the techniques he uses.

I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm curious. Why do people seem to be so ready to argue over the validity of what he does and/or advocates?

Post subject: Re: Murray Carter- Whats the deal?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:06 am 

I think the readiness to debate his technique is a left over from ruffled feathers from a number of years back. Something to do with his 1K, strop 6K, strop newspaper technique in the context of creating an edge on razors.

He also promotes King stones which many people ( not me ) denounce as junk.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:14 am 
Forum Moderator

Murray Carter could be equated to most things in life - either you like it, or you don't......

I do not have any of his knives - so I refrain from comment on this subject.

Regarding his sharpening technique.....well from what I have gathered over the years, it works for him, to the point of winning some big sharpening competitions.

Each to his own I guess - our personal preferences tend to sometimes cloud our objective judgement when evaluating other methods etc...

I for one are of the opinion that his skill/technique/consistency falls into the top bracket - hence his success.

For one, the best equipment in the world in the hands of an unskilled operator is meaningless - I have watched all of his videos and applaud him.

...my 2c.....

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 am 

I for one are of the opinion that his skill/technique/consistency falls into the top bracket - hence his success.

i am with you on this.

murray has been using those kings for like ever. so he knows how to use them and he hasn't used anything else. which is well, part of his mastery of his art. working on specific knife steels which is mostly just white steel, sure he does stainless and blue steel but he really works on white steel most of the time. he works on one thing to the point of mastery. which is why he is consistent.

do something the same with the same stuff over and over, you would be the same.

=D

like one of the guys one here has said

practice, patience and persistence.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

claytonsmith wrote:"I've noticed that Murray Carter is, apparently, a subject of debate with regards to sharpening and the techniques he uses... Why do people seem to be so ready to argue over the validity of what he does and/or advocates?

Have you ever personally dealt with Mr. Carter.?! I have on a few occasions, and I reckon, the contempt you recognize in the consensus is due to Mr. Carter; not Mr. Carter's skills nor success.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 am 
Forum Moderator

You know... I just love the fact that Murray has shaved with so many different things; He's like the knife world's own 'Chuck Norris'. I love that his sharpening technique was so widely debated and that he still has success.

Never tried one of his knives yet, although I'd love to change that one day. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 am 
VIP Member

I have dealt with and own a Carter. It is easily the sharpest knife I have ever received OOTB, BY FAR! You can dislike the guy for whatever reason you'd like, but if you try one of his knives you will convert. He has absolutely NO reason to change a single thing he does or even to answer questions from anyone. His knives are a proven quantity and shall remain so for some time to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 am 

claytonsmith wrote:I've noticed that Murray Carter is, apparently, a subject of debate with regards to sharpening and the techniques he uses.

I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm curious. Why do people seem to be so ready to argue over the validity of what he does and/or advocates?

It was his technique that helped me along when learning waterstones, its a simple technique that has few flaws and can be repeated with consistency.

The problem is its his and people like to be individual. In sharpening there are many over complications, theories, and techniques to argue and no mater what you do there is a flaw in everything.

If you K.I.S.S. then its a lot easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 pm 

Valid question Clayton. I've had the pleasure of owning multiple Carter knives, and happen to employ one for EDC. There are a handful of things I admire about Murray and his product, but first I'll share my concern from a customer's perspective.

According to Portland local papers the man has increased sales from around $500k to close to $1 mil over the last year, including opening a new shop and hiring more deck hands. It's hard to criticize a business owner for wanting to grow their business, especially when you are trying to provide for a wife and kids, as he is. However my concern as a customer is his ability to maintain the same attention to detail and quality control despite the enormous growth of his biz. I'm not suggesting he's failed in this area, however I have noticed some differences in my latest Carter blade as compared to an earlier one (I'll leave it at that). I know he still personally hand forges each knife and does most the finishing, but he's delegating more and more tasks to his employees as well. So again, I'm not criticizing the man for being successful in business, I just hope he continues to remember what's made him successful, that being a product that outperforms the majority of cutlery offered here in the U.S. (IMO).

Now the positive, I admire Carter's product, but most of all I admire the influence he's had upon the knife industry. I'm not sure how many other smiths out there have taken the time to invest as much passion as he has in regards to his blades, books, videos and classes. I love the man's enthusiasm. I admire the fact that he has devoted himself to working with one of the purest commercially available steels. I admire that fact that he's put functionality before style. I admire that hes put forth significant effort to instruct people how to maintain man's greatest tool, even if some of his methods/philosophy could be challenged. There's been many a days I've unplugged and decompressed by enjoying his DVDs, youtube vids, and books. Although it would probably require hitting the lottery, I might even find myself flying out to OR some day for one of his forging classes.

He has indeed been the recipient of criticism, and I'm confident in some cases it has been warranted. Overall I think hes positively impacted the industry in ways unparalleled by many of his peers. And yes, his blades do cut, very well.

Josh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Josh - that is an extremely well written post. I always enjoy reading such nicely articulated thoughts on a subject.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next